OMV on a dell 1900

• Hi I have a dell 1900 which has been running windows 2008. It has twin quad core, 32gigs ram and 8 2tb harddrives. I can add another drive as there are two spare sata on board.

Would I ignore raid set up here and instead set it up within OMV?
    How would you set up 8 drives assuming I had a 9th for OMV? I like stripped because of speed. but would be happy to consider something else. I don't need tonnes of space, I am using abut 3tb currently.

Would OMV 3 be preferable in this application?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would I ignore raid set up here and instead set it up within OMV?

If it has a hardware raid controller, I would probably use that. Otherwise, setup a software raid array in the web interface.

How would you set up 8 drives assuming I had a 9th for OMV?

Yes

Would OMV 3 be preferable in this application?

Yes. I think it is preferable in all applications.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi.

Getting a lot of conflicting info on the hardware raid and BTRFS. Would I be better just using ext4 in this application?

I think in the new year I shall start again with a sas controller rather than raid but for right now I have a perc and set up 4 disks as raid 0. This has been picked up fine by OMV, just wonder what file system to put on it.

For now at least no mission critical stuff will be on this nas, that being said I would rather it didnt go belly up real quick!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would I be better just using ext4 in this application?

ext4 is generally a good choice.

sas controller rather than raid but for right now I have a perc

The perc card is a sas hardware raid controller. Why would you need something else?

set up 4 disks as raid 0

If one disk fails, you lose everything on the array...

For now at least no mission critical stuff will be on this nas, that being said I would rather it didnt go belly up real quick!

See previous answer.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry I meant a sata card to do away with the raid card

Why? The perc cards are pretty decent in my experience. They are also easy to find on ebay if they fail.

• I wonder what conflicting info you get about BTRFS and raid controllers?
    also, which PERC controller do you have PERC 5/i or PERC 5/e. just curious.

as for what to choose, it is really up to you.

the hardware controller you have is a decent enterprise grade card.
    it will work, and work well, but if specs are correct you can only get raid level 0,1, and 5 on it. although I have seen specs with raid 10 and 50 as well so a bit confusing but you can try and see.

however by choosing hardware raid setup you a locking yourself in to this specific card. if something goes wrong with the card you have to find the new exact card to replace it.

choosing Linux software raid or BTRFS raid make switching hardware easier, if it important to you.

also managing the set is easier with software raid setup, especially with BTRFS as for the most changes you do not even need to reboot or take the set offline.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Hi, I got my dell model wrong its a 2900 and the perc includes raid 0-1-5-6 and 10

I went with 0 over 4 disks as I have a need for speed! I am aware of the risks of raid hence everything is backed up to another pc.

However now that its all set up, speeds are very disappointing. With copy speed not exceeding 40MB/s on the same set up but with windows 2008 it comfortably sat around 110MB/s

So not really sure what to make of that, but its all slower, PLEX scanning for instance is very slow, I can tell this because I installed PLEX temporarily on my back up server this week ( an old optiplex something or other running 2008) my tv shows scanned in around 10 minutes, I don't have many, on OMV its been going for 40 minutes with plenty to go.

Looking in the networking graphic on OMV it says its connected at gigabit. So I can only think some sort of unhappiness with the raid?

I set up raid in the perc interface, and set it all toe ext4 as discussed above.

• I also note that the cpu is being utilised at around 80%, is OMV able to use multi cores? This one has 8 cores at 3ghz and 32gigs of ram.

I have only every ran OMV on lower level hardware such as proliant n54l where the CPU never seemed to be stressed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you install the 64 bit (amd64) version of OMV? I would also use OMV 3.x. I have a PowerEdge 2900 and it shouldn't not be that show running Linux.

• Hi, yea AMD64. Its really strange. I am in no rush here so will try different network ports etc, but the performance is really bad, I gave up with the TVShow scan last night it was still going 2 hours later for 12 shows.

I cannot break 50MB/s download from it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you don't want to install OMV 3.x, at least install the backports kernel. There is a button to do it in omv-extras.

• Sorry to clarify I started with version 3. Well anyhow I installed Windows 2008 on the same hardware, same nics same everything and easily hitting 100MB/s from my main PC, would not go above 45 on OMV. So I have given up on OMV in this application. I have used OMV in one guise or another for years including on this very server under a virtual so not sure if its version 3, the Perc card, or some unfortunate event, but what ever it is, the combination is not happy.

However I am trying to install on another PC an old Dell OptiPlex 755. It simply will not have it here. At 'partitions formatting' it hits 33% and goes no further. I have tried three different harddrives and burning the image to two DVDs and CDR and USB stick, in all cases cannot get beyond 33% formatting.

Sigh.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you install the backports kernel?

• well you issue might be that the drivers in regular kernel is not 100% compatible with your nic card(s)
    so while all seams to be working you are not getting optimum performance out of your hardware.
    OMV, specifically extras plugin, provides a set of backport, updated, kernels that you can use.
    like, if standard OMV kernel is 3.16.x you can instal a newer kernel, currently 4.8.x
    that might have a better support drivers.

• Ah ok, yea I understand about omv extras as thats where I get plex from.

Still I am now at a stage where it wont install at all. I had the original install on a harddrive so stuck that in a HP proliant and whilst its booted fine it does not appear on my network. I am sure OMV used to tell you on the connected screen what its IP was but thats not longer showing either.

• can you login into the console?
    if yes just run "ip add sh" and it will tell you the ip
    now if it is not even booting than it is a different issue
    what can be is that your nic config is dropped.

again if you can login to console, run omv-firstaid and redo your network setup.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!