Samba problem

• Hello!,

i have a problem with the networks drives in windows pc's . We have 2 servers NAS with OMV. The previus version 0.3 dont have any problem, but the new server it's having troubles. When a windows user restart the pc , the network drive lose conection and we have to reconnect them every time. any ideas? 5 of 40 users app are having this problem .

Thanks!

• Did you check the Box for "reconnecting at startup" when configuring the network drive?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are the clients XP, Vista, 7, or 8? or a mix?

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you didn't have the problem with 0.3, it must be a difference in how the samba config file is written by the plugin. The only way to really know is if you still have a copy of the smb.conf file from 0.3 and compare it to the 0.4 smb.conf. Is it always the same 5 systems?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

If you didn't have the problem with 0.3, it must be a difference in how the samba config file is written by the plugin. The only way to really know is if you still have a copy of the smb.conf file from 0.3 and compare it to the 0.4 smb.conf. Is it always the same 5 systems?

The OMV servers are independient. This is the smb.conf of the first:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second server omv (with the problems) ahve this conf:

The second server are running in the same lan of the first. maybe running 2 smb service in one lan? :shock:

• Pleaaaaaaase use Code Boxes, i edited them around your configs. They do alot for visibility of the Thread.

Greetings
    David

Edith: I run a comparesion between your config files:

Your second one is local master where the first is set to no.
    Your second one has no comment on your home share (definitly not necessary...)
    Your second one has a duplicate entry:

Code
    store dos attributes = no

Valid Users and write liste seem to differ, but i cannot compare them correct because you cut the line.
    Your second has setup share called "Softland" where the first does not.

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Pleaaaaaaase use Code Boxes, i edited them around your configs. They do alot for visibility of the Thread.

Greetings
    David

ups! sorry and thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only difference (other than two extra shares) is one system is a Local Master and the other isn't. I don't think that would cause disconnections. Everything else is identical. I have many more than 2 smb services running on one lan. So, no problem there. Change the log level under Advanced settings to see why the system is disconnecting.

• In case you did not see my edit above:

Edith: I run a comparesion between your config files:

Your second one is local master where the first is set to no.
    Your second one has no comment on your home share (definitly not necessary...)
    Your second one has a duplicate entry:

Code

Valid Users and write liste seem to differ, but i cannot compare them correct because you cut the line.
    Your second has setup share called "Softland" where the first does not.

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

The only difference (other than two extra shares) is one system is a Local Master and the other isn't. I don't think that would cause disconnections. Everything else is identical. I have many more than 2 smb services running on one lan. So, no problem there. Change the log level under Advanced settings to see why the system is disconnecting.

how can i activate this log?

• Offizieller Beitrag

In the web interface, go to the SMB/CIFS section under Services. In the Settings tab, there is a section called Advanced settings. Change the Log Level to Full and click OK. Look in the System Logs under Syslog for messages about disconnects and/or other odd messages.

• My home network has OMV, running headless, a Debian machine, three Windows 7 machines and a dual-boot Debian/Win8.1 on the LAN, an Android tablet and a dual-boot netbook (Crunchbang Linux/Win7) on the wifi. My problem resides in the two dual-boot machines. While all of the single-boot machines have no issues with OMV, I am unable to access OMV in Windows on either of the dual boot machines. It is accessible in both Debian and Crunchbang on the dual-boot machines. All machines are accessing it via Samba.

In both instances, they're single-user machines, having one active user account and that user account info is identical in both OSes on both machines (i.e., same user name).

I'm the owner of the Debian/Win8 machine--the netbook is my son's--and this has me stymied. I used Linux exclusively from 2004 to 2011 and only installed Windows for gaming--anything except for playing games that have issues in WINE is done in Linux. Thus, my knowledge of troubleshooting any Windows 7 and 8.1 issues is minimal, but what I have managed to do suggests that, while the IP address and user name remains the same in both OSes, OMV is still, somehow, spotting the fact that there's a difference and refusing access from Windows as a duplicate user.

For my use, it's not a major factor, but for my son's use, it is: he uses Windows for all on and offline videos (the dedicated graphics driver is better at handling HD video than Linux's generic Intel module).

Any help would be appreciated.

• Windows is unable to access a Samba Share if the username ist the same as the OpenMediaVault user, but the passwords differ on both systems. So either use the same password for the username, or use a different!

Greetings
    David

• David,

Thanks for the speedy reply (and sorry for the delay in mine). That wasn't the issue and, frankly, I'm unsure what was. An apt-get upgrade (via SSH) on the OMV box solved the problem, but another has arisen. In Crunchbang Linux (based on Debian-wheezy), you can copy files to and from the NAS, but cannot read them directly from the NAS. E.g., you can copy a document or a video from the NAS to your /home/<user>/<directory of choice>, but if you try to open the file directly off the NAS, a "Cannot read the file" error message results.

The Crunchbang gurus I've spoken to are at a loss as to what could be causing this, and my trouble-shooting (from both ends) has yielded no clues.

• Maybe its because its made for wheezy and OpenMediaVault is Squeeze.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!