VirtualBox Performance

• I was wondering if it's just me or if everyone has the same Problem, but I'm getting very poor performance with VM's on my OMV system. Especially graphics are choppy, Linux/Windows guest, doesn't matter. It also doesn't yield a huge performance boost if I allocate 2GB or more RAM to a guest OS.

Specs are:
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (2.7Ghz)
    RAM: 4GB DDR-2
    GPU: Geforce 8500 GT 512MB (not sure if this actually gets used)
    and variouse HDD's

Thats my old Desktop setup where I've been running VM's under Win7 just fine, which is wierd because OMV has a much lower footprint than Win7. I just like to know if that is "normal" or if my plugin/configuration is broken in some way ? Maybe someone can shed some light in this matter.

• Zitat von "Mcnemisis"

do you know if your CPU has the VT extensions etc?
    i know my little atom and unfortunately my laptop don't have either so Vm's are always poor :(

Yep, pretty sure it does. If I remember correctly VT is needed to run 64bit guest, which I do.

• The VT extension is just the standard implemantion. See here for more informationen about the different VT implementations:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Gloss…alization_Technology.html

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

nouveau or radeon (nouveau in your case)should be loaded for your graphics card. That is what I use on all my systems. How much video memory did you allocate to the VM when you set it up? I don't have this problem on any of my VMs including a Win2k Terminal Server with 5 or 6 clients. Are you connecting using Remote Desktop?

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of:

lsmod | grep nouveau

If there is output, then the nouveau driver is running which should be work well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• lsmod | grep nouveau shows this.

Code
    nouveau               353192  0
    ttm                    40210  1 nouveau
    drm_kms_helper         20369  1 nouveau
    drm                   143120  3 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
    i2c_algo_bit            4209  1 nouveau
    i2c_core               15835  5 nouveau,drm_kms_helper,drm,i2c_algo_bit,i2c_nforce2
    button                  4650  1 nouveau

Edit: connecting via rdp, allocated 256mb memory, but it doesn't seem to make a difference if I allocate less.

• Offizieller Beitrag

nouveau is ok. Not sure what is going on. Your processor is faster and has better video than one of my OMV systems. Is the system swapping? I assume the VM is on the same hard drive it was when running under windows?

• OMV has the default partition layout, if I remember correctly the default swap partition was around 256-512MB.

VM is not on the same hard drive although spec wise nothing has changed, before it was on a WD 2TB and now it is on a Hitachi 2TB.

edit:

Code
    root@omv:~# free
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:       3802836    3311024     491812          0     188912     132260
    -/+ buffers/cache:    2989852     812984
    Swap:      2421752        816    2420936
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Stupid question but you are using the 64 bit version of OMV? When you were using the VMs before, it was local on the workstation, right? Now, you are connecting over rdp.

• Yes I'm on 64bit OMV. As I've said, the hardware is from my old Desktop system which ran Win7 and Virtualbox (linux and windows guest) with no problems at all. That's why I was surprised about the poor/choppy performance.

• Did you power off this vm while doing any type of upgrade or do anything weird before this happened? Have you tried another vm and are you having these issues with every vm you've tried?

PS- I've seen these type of issues when a vm has been damaged.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you connect to the VMs over rdp when it was on the desktop?

• I've tried different versions of Win7 and some Linux distros, it's the same thing for every VM. The last thing I tried was making the vdisk size fixed, but that didn't do any good either.

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Did you connect to the VMs over rdp when it was on the desktop?

No.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is probably the biggest difference. You can't get native graphics performance over rdp that you can on the local screen. If you want that performance back, you would need to install the desktop environment on your OMV box.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you connecting with rdp over wireless?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!