New Install of OMV

• Hi David

Just run this now, here are the results:

Is that what you would expect?

Thanks again for all your help.

• Well, that at least tells me that your disk is running fine, but I would expect higher writing speeds, depending on what kind of drive you're using!

So, what kind of drive is this you're writing to? Single 5400rpm or 7200rpm drive? Or...?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi Dave

Maybe it is due to the low 1.5Ghz CPU?

My HDDs are a bit of a mix and match unfortunately:

1x ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
    1x Samsung HD103SI 1TB 5400rpm SATA 3.5"
    1x Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM

Thanks again

• Samba can be CPU intensiv and prodcues high overhead compared to NFS or FTP (except that FTP has a problem with many small files due to how the protocl works).

However the speed should be way higher, than your 13MB/s or 20MB/s with FTP.

May some of the other mods have some more suggestions on what to check, as they has some more experience with running VMs than I have.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Yeah, you should get higher speeds with OMV :P

Greetings
    David

• If a different VM on the same machine (or even another protocol on the same VM) gets higher speeds? I doubt it.

Greetings
    David

• I haven't read everything but yes. Certain nics can have issues with some routers, switches or hubs (or sometimes even a bad cable). It can effect transfer rate. So if you are having problems with you OMV make sure you look into other possible causes. I personally had some issues with a Realtek NIC on my WHS-2011. Transfer speeds were slow going thru my gigabit routers switch to my OMV. I got a new HP switch and everything is plugged into it now and speeds are great.

• Thanks for the advice but like David said if another VM on the same box works better it has to be something else?

My CPU maybe due to me having a RAID5 array?

Thanks again

• ... slap me in the face... I overread that you're using an RAID5 array... yeah, that's it what's slowing down your writing speed and that doubles up in case you write via SMB.

Please try to read files from your NAS via SMB and tell me the speed, if you can try read/write via NFS it would be nice to know what the speeds are there.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try putting the following the Extra Options box on the main smb/cifs tab.

strict allocate = yes

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Samba has a lot more overhead in the protocol than ftp which will slow it down in a VM. I get 40 - 50 MB/s on my VM but 110 MB/s native. The write is slow though. Try the following command as root:

echo 8192 > /sys/block/md0/md/stripe_cache_size

You may have to change md0 to whatever your raid array is (ie md127).

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!