New to OMV and Linux

• Looks like you will have to restore an image somewhere if you want to see what's inside it.

My dd images are 16GB, a size that isn't a burden. I keep a week's worth of daily dd images of my OMV SSD. If I need to peek inside one it takes only a few seconds to mount the image.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

RAID - Its ability to disappoint is inversely proportional to the user's understanding of it.

OMV 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• Looks like you will have to restore an image somewhere if you want to see what's inside it.

Seems so. Kind of annoying.

Here's a comparison of partclone (.pcl; mounting issues), dd (.img; size), and dd + gzip (.img.gz; some mounting issue and moderate size):

Code
    4.9M     MBR.img
    64M     mmcblk0p1.img
    42M     mmcblk0p1.img.gz
    29M     mmcblk0p1.pcl
    7.4G     mmcblk0p2.img
    5.0G     mmcblk0p2.img.gz
    1.4G     mmcblk0p2.pcl

Partclone does have a significant size advantage. If only I could easily mount it. Comments suggest it may be possible, and I did install the partclone-util tool, but the documentation is sparse and I have not succeeded in mounting a "special image format".

• I guess that's the price of the savings.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

RAID - Its ability to disappoint is inversely proportional to the user's understanding of it.

OMV 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• Solution to mounting a partclone "special image file": Restore the partclone image to a raw image file, which is then mounted to a loop device.

Code
    cat mmcblk0p2.pcl | sudo partclone.btrfs -r -W -s - -o raw.img
    sudo mount -o loop raw.img /mnt

Now I can have my cake and eat it too.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!