OMV's interface won't allow creating a single disk RAID 1 array, it asks for minimum two disks.
So I'm wondering: Can I possibly create a degraded RAID 1 array by hand, but still have it managed in OMV's interface?
What would be the best way to do that in your opinion?
Please, note that I'm a bit new with RAID and relied greatly on OMV's interface until now. I've seen actual documentation about RAID and mdadm commands but never used it by hand. Therefore, you shall not hesitate to point out actual relevant documentation in this case or useful commands, that will be much helpful and appreciated.
If you want more details to answer and appreciate the situation:
Running OMV 4.1.
With no RAID I've got:
- sdc, system drive 120GB SSD
- sdg, emptied 8TB HDD - > That's the disk we're interested in
- sdh, a full of data 3TB HDD
I've also gladly setup two RAID last week, and it went all good :
- md0 (sda, sdb), 2x500GB SSD RAID 1
- md1 (sdd, sde, sdf), 3x4TB HDD RAID 5
I plan to add a second 8TB HDD later when I can afford it (that's a 250€ non critical investment so... ), to do a RAID 1, adding a little bit more safety to this data.
In the meantime, I will need this storage space, and I want to prevent moving all my data over and over.
I came up with this idea:
- Create md2 array which will be a 1x8TB degraded RAID 1, then add its second 8TB friend later and just rebuild the array
Thanks a lot to anyone taking time to help!