my biggest mistake! mv system files of my OMV install

• my biggest mistake!

I made the biggest stupidity ever seen I think!
    I wanted to move files and I got the wrong directory.
    So I moved all the system files of my omv ....
    with this command not to reproduce

root @ NAS2018: / srv / dev-disk-by-label-DOWNLOAD / temporary # mv / * / srv / 2aa37cae-ce75-43a3-8fb2-1024a4f2ea7c / MOVIES /

I have the prompt but no command because /bin and all system files move.
    My OMV no longer responds, I broke everything ....

what my best options for finding a functional OMV?

• I will reinstall.
    I still learned this is the main thing!
    time to go to OMV5.

I try to do some command with / srv / 2aa37cae-ce75-43a3-8fb2-1024a4f2ea7c /bin/xxx

I managed to do a few things but hey I prefer to start on a good basis and therefore I will reinstall.

again it is the user the problem in the chain with OMV :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I make a suggestion for your new install.

Complete the install and create a user under the "users" section.
    Add said user to the "SSH" group
    Under the SSH section of OMV, disable root login.

Now when you SSH, you will SSH as your user. If you need to be root, just su and then enter your root password. To drop out of root privileges, simply use the exit command, and it will drop you back to your user privileges. If you get in the habit of doing everything as an unprivileged user, hopefully when you get "permission denied"... you'll stop and think about what you're doing before doing it.. then log in as root and proceed if needed.

Had you followed this simple practice (IMO, it's very important but it seems I'm in the minority on this) this would not have happened. I don't even think a sudo user would have been allowed to do that (I don't use sudo on my server either, but do on my laptops/desktops).

• I migrated to OMV5 and I reassemble all my containers quietly. Everything is going wonderfully :)
    Time to get used to Portainer.
    all my databases leave as if nothing had happened because i had my appdata on a ssd apart from the disk system.

I want to thank the members who participated in this thread. No mockery, time for others, it's really nice to see such a community!

and finally thank you KM0201 for this last piece of advice which I will put into practice to avoid stupidity.

Glad to have my Bookstack back to life with everything I learn !

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!