Problem booting up with LUKS and UnionFileSystem

• Hi there,

I am pretty new to Raspberry and Linux stuff, please consider this.

I'm having issues using a RPi4 with OMV5. When I mount my 2 encrypted drives and then reboot OMV, it takes a while because mounting the filesystem is timing out (obviously, because the drives are locked when rebooting the RPi). But the system boots and I can access the GUI. Then I unlock the drives and I can mount the filesystems in GUI. I added x-systemd.device-timeout to the drives in /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and then did omv-salt deploy run fstab to save this.

After creating a pool with UnionFileSystem it mounts and shows it correctly in GUI. But after restarting OMV the RPi boots to emergency mode.

I followed the instructions on this site at "4.1" but without SnapRaid.

I don't know, how I show you the logfiles. If you need them, please tell me, how I can do that.

I'm looking forward to your help. Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Edit: after deleting the entries in fstab it boots again, but I can't mount the pool. I got some logs, I hope it helps.

• Hi,

I have the same issue using a similar setup with encrypted drives and unionfilesystem.
    In OMV4 this setup worked as expected, but in OMV5 the system boots into emergency mode.
    The cause for this behaviour seems to be additional configuration options in fstab written only by OMV5.

I was able to work around this issue by manually removing all 'x-systemd.requires=...' options from the pools entry in fstab.
    The system then boots in normal mode. After unlocking and mounting all drives the pool seems to work fine. Only the branches tab in Union Fileystem usually shows no drive names which can be resolved by slightly modifying the pools configuration. Unfortunately saving the configuration overwrites fstab with the old settings.

I appreciate the fact that OMV5 now at least checks if all drives are present, but this breaks setups with encrypted drives.
    Is there a way to change the default options?

@Final Deleting only these options instead of the whole configuration might make the pool mount again.

I hope this helps

• Hi there,

@DrDOIS yes, that's a workaround. That works for me so far. Thank you very much!

It would be nice, if there's a more elegant way of configuring enrypted drives and unionfilesystem.

Best regards

• Hello everyone,

That's my 2nd try with OMV, so far I'm using unraid, but I'm looking for something light, like raspi 4

And, I've same problem with unionfs
    How I can modify config.xml to remove "permanently" definition x-systemd.requires in fstab?
    Also there's problem with mounting unionfs even modyfing fstab
    I added noauto option to fstab, then manually mounted via shell by

mount /srv/union-id

even then, NFS doesn't worked well, directory mounted outside uniofs, lots of errors about missing ID, etc.
    So far unionfs can't work with luks
    (from my point of view, LUKS is "must have")

• Offizieller Beitrag

How I can modify config.xml to remove "permanently" definition x-systemd.requires in fstab?

Change the options in the mntent section. If you edit the pool in the web interface, it will add them back though. I guess I could add a checkbox to disable them.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thx!

I've done that again... and looks much better...
    Still have to mount filesystems, mount unionfs from shell (that's frustrating)
    So far NFS is working well, data is saved on unionfs folder (probably)

but. still have error like

Couldn't extract an UUID from the provided path '/export/union'.

need to do some magic with configuration?

Error #0:
    OMV\Exception: Couldn't extract an UUID from the provided path '/export/union'. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/filesystem/backend/mergerfs.inc:96
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/filesystem/backend/mergerfs.inc(64): OMV\System\Filesystem\Backend\Mergerfs::extractUuidFromMountPoint('/export/union')
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/filesystem/filesystem.inc(904): OMV\System\Filesystem\Backend\Mergerfs->getImpl('240:480')
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharemgmt.inc(158): OMV\System\Filesystem\Filesystem::getImplByMountPoint('/srv/6e164aa3-6...')
    #3 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\ShareMgmt->enumerateSharedFolders(NULL, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharemgmt.inc(205): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('enumerateShared...', NULL, Array)
    #6 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\ShareMgmt->getList(Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getList', Array, Array)
    #9 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('ShareMgmt', 'getList', Array, Array, 1)
    #10 {main}

• Offizieller Beitrag

Couldn't extract an UUID from the provided path '/export/union'.

need to do some magic with configuration?

I don't know what is causing this. /export/union shouldn't be passed to the mergerfs backend. I also can't reproduce it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• well, looks like it's broken again...

240:480 730493996 5538244 724922984 1% /export/union
    240:480 730493996 5538244 724922984 1% /srv/6e164aa3-6c7f-4e2c-9a00-cbe3d686dc1e

• I don't know what is causing this. /export/union shouldn't be passed to the mergerfs backend. I also can't reproduce it.

Are You using Rasberry installation, or intel based? maybe those problems are related to raspi build and not caused by any plugins?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are You using Rasberry installation, or intel based? maybe those problems are related to raspi build and not caused by any plugins?

The plugin doesn't know/care what system it is running on.

• I'm almost done :)

So it's not raspi problem
    after few plugins updates, there's progress
    NFS works, /export is mapped properly on

240:480 on /export/union type fuse.mergerfs (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other)

for now just got error with editing shares

"Couldn't extract an UUID from the provided path '/sharedfolders/union'."

but there's definion in xml config
    Is something missing or just bug?

<sharedfolder>
    <uuid>6bfa939b-dfe3-44b8-8614-5a7004cfd8f0</uuid>
    <name>union</name>
    <comment></comment>
    <mntentref>553826eb-d02e-457d-b98c-26c7e3752160</mntentref>
    <reldirpath>union/</reldirpath>
    <privileges>
    <privilege>
    <type>user</type>
    <name>proxmox</name>
    <perms>7</perms>
    </privilege>
    </privileges>
    </sharedfolder>
    </shares>

• I'll answer to myself and all others intrested in using OMV with LUKS and unionfs,
    I can mount now all from from gui or shell

Just created simple script for a little automation, it's easier to explain that way ;)

• Trying to use four encrypted disks with UnionFS, boots into Emergency mode, if I remove the Union FS pool it boots fine. I have read the above and it seems that if it worked in version 4 and does not in version 5 because there is now a check that the disks are present and this causes a problem. I would like to ask if this is a problem that will be sorted out, the code example above is too complicated for me, I don't even know how to run it automatically,

I spent several days trying to install omv and finally had to use a DVD-R for the installation media. I really respect the work that's been done and I realise it's free and I don't have to use it, but if it's possible for someone to have a look and see if it's an easy fix that would be nice.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not until devs sort out things related to luks.

Looks like they ignore those problems

They aren't being ignored. It is a difficult problem to fix when you can't reproduce it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

From my perspective, it's quit easy to reproduce.

Reproduce was probably the wrong word. I should've just said it is hard to fix.

• Hello Guys, I have the same problems with Unionfs and LUKS encrypted drives.

Is it worth downgrading to OMV4? Or are there features in OMV5 that we really need?

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Change the options in the mntent section. If you edit the pool in the web interface, it will add them back though. I guess I could add a checkbox to disable them.

Hi - could you please explain what exactly we need to change

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!