FTP dont work, after clear install

• Omv 5, clean installation, no plugins, updates installed. I’m already reinstalling OMV, but the problem is haunting. FTP refuses to work properly. When starting up, the error https://pastebin.com/6XZ95NUf appears, if you ignore it and start FTP again, it will work, but if you just restart the server, then FTP on the board will light up in red and when you try to start, this error appears again. From the log I realized that it was proftpd, I don’t know what it is and I don’t need it, I need regular ftp ;(;(;(

• Is /run existing? As already said, this is NOT an OMV issue, it's related to the proftpd package and/or the Debian system you are using. There are so much (e.g. ARM) images out there that are out of the scope of OMV. We can not do anything here. But i had to mention that i never saw such an issue till now.

I did not install Debian before installing OMV. I immediately installed the iso omv 5 image via usb flash. Therefore, the matter is still in OMV, but even if they cannot help at the official forum, then it makes sense to think about the further use of OMV, this is not a threat, it is a sourcelessness.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did not install Debian before installing OMV. I immediately installed the iso omv 5 image via usb flash.

I also installed OMV5 with the official ISO on my production system some weeks ago and did not realize this issue. All went as expected. So, if i or other devs do not have troubles, how should we know about such things or fix them?

Nevertheless, OMV only installs and configures the services, if the service has an error, we unfortunately cannot do anything because they are not managed by the OMV project, but by the Debian community or the community of the service itself.

• I also installed OMV5 with the official ISO on my production system some weeks ago and did not realize this issue. All went as expected. So, if i or other devs do not have troubles, how should we know about such things or fix them?

Nevertheless, OMV only installs and configures the services, if the service has an error, we unfortunately cannot do anything because they are not managed by the OMV project, but by the Debian community or the community of the service itself.

An idea about a problem was born in my head, I will check this theory and let me know

• I had this problem too when I installed OMV5 in a virtual machine this afternoon. But after enabling->disabling->enabling FTP through GUI, it started "working". Yes, had to try it twice.

I think I will reinstall OMV4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you sure the OMV5 system is up-to-date? Have you run omv-update after you've installed your system?

I really can't reproduce your behavior. FTP is working fine.

Code
    # dpkg -l | grep proftpd
    ii  proftpd-basic                   1.3.6-4+deb10u3                     amd64        Versatile, virtual-hosting FTP daemon - binaries
    ii  proftpd-mod-vroot               0.9.4-2                             amd64        ProFTPD module mod_vroot

# dpkg -l | grep openmediavault
    ii  openmediavault                  5.3.8-1                             all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-keyring          1.0                                 all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
  • I'm never using ftp, but I've tried to enable the service as a test.

I've to say that I also got this error as described in post #1

I ran the command "ls -alh /run/proftpd" with the following result:

root@HPt620:~# ls -alh /run/proftpd

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Mar 20 11:10 .

drwxr-xr-x 35 root root 1.3K Mar 20 11:10 ..

srwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 20 11:10 proftpd.sock

But after rebooting my system the result is:

cannot access '/run/proftpd': No such file or directory

My systemspecs are in my signature

kr.,

Frepke

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.0.5-1 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.8 | omvextrasorg 7.0

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Frepke ()

• It's not the first time this problem is mentioned, see: RE: Start ftp service error

I saw this in a log:

proftpd.service: Found left-over process 10339 (proftpd) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.

Maybe this can help :/

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.0.5-1 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.8 | omvextrasorg 7.0

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Frepke ()

• Hi,

I have the same problem with the same error message as Merxa.

This seems to be the problematic part:

Code
    ----------
              ID: start_proftpd_service
        Function: service.running
            Name: proftpd
          Result: False
         Comment: Job for proftpd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
                  See "systemctl status proftpd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
         Started: 13:31:43.271958
        Duration: 34.855 ms
         Changes:

When checking systemctl this is the message:

Code
    Apr 14 15:39:11 openmediavault.local systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Starts ProFTPD daemon...
    Apr 14 15:39:11 openmediavault.local proftpd[27184]: Starting ftp server: proftpdstart-stop-daemon: matching on world-writable pidfile /run/proftpd.pid is insecure
    Apr 14 15:39:11 openmediavault.local proftpd[27184]:  failed!

When checking the /run folder the pid file has not the correct rights:

Code
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root     root       60 Apr 14 15:45 proftpd
    -rw-rw-rw-  1 root     root        6 Apr 14 15:45 proftpd.pid
    -rw-r--r--  1 root     root       32 Apr 14 15:45 proftpd.scoreboard
    -rw-r--r--  1 root     root        0 Apr 14 15:45 proftpd.scoreboard.lck

Found a bugtracker addressing this problem but this seems not to work.

It is build in. Here is the part from my actual /srv/salt/omv/deploy/proftpd/default.sls

Code
    # It somehow happens that there is a PID file with incorrect permissions
    # that will let the sysvinit script fail:
    # proftpd[16533]: Starting ftp server: proftpdstart-stop-daemon: matching on world-writable pidfile /run/proftpd.pid is insecure
    chmod_proftpd_pidfile:
    module.run:
    - file.set_mode:
    - path: /run/proftpd.pid
    - mode: 644
    - onlyif: "test -f /run/proftpd.pid"

Whenever I delete the pid file the FTP server works. But with every restart this file is created again. Could anyone please check why this file is generated with the wrong user rights?

I am using OVM 5.3.9 ISO with all updates installed an OVM-Extras. All other serviecs running nicely and OVM 4 had run before without any problems. My system is a N3150 x86 system.

My OMV:

OMV 5

ASRock N3150-ITX

2 x 4GB RAM

2 x WD Red WD20EFRX

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!