Questions about SnapRAID

• I have 4x4TB WD reds for data an an external 5TB Seagate USB for partity. I use a once daily helper script to sync/scrub etc. All working fine. From my reading the recommended max data drives is 4 per partity drive. Is my understanding correct that the logic behind this is that if you go beyond 4 data disks you run a higher risk of disk failure during a rebuild? Or are there other reasons? I have read of someone using 9 disks for one parity.

If I decide to go beyond 4 (which I tried briefly then reversed) is there a way to supress the SnapRAID warning message about too many data disks?

John

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• Those are published guidelines, and not strict hard and fast rules. It's up to you to decide how much risk to take. More parity drives means having the ability to recover from more simultaneous data drive failures.

I have been running with two parity drives for quite some time and my data drive count is now at eight. I guess that is why I have never seen the message about too many data disks.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!