How To get your Realtek RTL8111/RTL8168 working.

• Hey everyone,

First time posting here, I just installed OMV last week and I was having trouble with autoshutdown and I noticed booting up was taking a long time too. I saw some threads here that led me to realize it was the realtek driver but no there was solution so I wanted to share what I did to fix my problem. I finally have OMV working 100% to my liking and can kick Windows 10 to the curb.

My problem with autoshutdown was it kept waking up on its own after 180 seconds or it wouldn't properly go to sleep. First you need to see what driver you have installed. My mobo is old and there were no more bios updates. I knew it wasn't a bios problem because standby worked fine under windows. I have a Realtek 8111E nic, so from a terminal using lspci I could see it identified as RTL8111/RTL8168/RTL8169 and by typing lsmod i could see it was using the r8169 driver. This driver does not work right! You want the R8168 driver for best speeds and proper standby.

Kudos to realtek for addressing the problem and releasing a driver and script for easier install. Download GBE Ethernet LINUX driver r8168 for kernel up to 5.6, unzip the files and make the autorun.sh file executable by doing a chmod +x autorun.sh

Download from:

https://www.realtek.com/en/com…rnet-pci-express-software

Next you have to install a few dependencies while you still have internet access. If you login with root, you can drop the sudo. Update your system first too.

Code
    sudo apt install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Make sure you do the following directly from a console and not ssh, you will lose connection as it changes drivers.

Change into the directory where you unzipped the files and run

sudo sh autorun.sh

This will uninstall the r8169 drivers and replace with r8168.

lsmod should now show the r8168 driver and I had no more problems with autoshutdown!

Thanks OMV team for such a great product, I hope this helps someone out there.

• Hi.

I would love to know how this card actually performs. Any iperf3 tests by chance?

I tried to run OMV on HP T610 terminal with broadcom BCM57781 card, but it seems tigon3 driver under Debian is bugged so it receives with full 1GbE speed but sending speed is cut in half, googled out few similar questions but no answers. So i only know its working fine under Windows and FreeBSD, but not under Debian.

Anyhow, now im aiming at HP T620 with RTL8111/8168/8411 and as i see it also has a bunch of problems, and yeah... its realtek so it sucks by definition when it comes to open software. But if after the fix it saturates 1GbE connection both ways, i'll go for it.

Anyone?

• Which version of OMV did you use? The make command didn't work in my 5.5.11.

I couldn't install OMV 4 and 5 because dhcp isn't available, so I'm creating a driver on another PC. Therefore, make is entered manually.

(DHCP worked on OMV3 and I was able to install it. I don't use it because it's old.)

[[[[[OMV environment]]]]]

root@openmediavault:/home/r8168-8.048.03# omv-sysinfo omv-version

================================================================================

= openmediavault information

================================================================================

Release: 5.5.11-1

Codename: Usul

root@openmediavault:/home/r8168-8.048.03# uname -r

5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

[[[[[make log]]]]]

root@openmediavault:/home/r8168-8.048.03# make -C src/ modules

make: Entering directory '/home/r8168-8.048.03/src'

make -C /lib/modules/5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64/build M=/home/r8168-8.048.03/src modules

make[1]: Entering directory '/home/r8168-8.048.03/src'

make[1]: *** /lib/modules/5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64/build: No such file or directory. Stop.

make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/r8168-8.048.03/src'

make: *** [Makefile:140: modules] Error 2

make: Leaving directory '/home/r8168-8.048.03/src'

• Offizieller Beitrag

Buy an intel card

Problem solved

• Buy an intel card

Problem solved

Yes i know intel NIC would be perfect for this, its doing a bunch of processing itself instead of putting load on the main CPU as realtek does. But the main problem is space inside, and these cheap intel cards are not small. I want to fit three HDDs inside and keep it small (thin terminal, not the "plus" size). But if all fails, ill have to buy intel and somehow fit it inside.

I couldn't install OMV 4 and 5 because dhcp isn't available, so I'm creating a driver on another PC. Therefore, make is entered manually.

OMV installer has some strange bugs, i also had problems with DHCP part of the install. AND with auto partitioning. Try the two-step install, installing Debian first.

• OMV installer has some strange bugs, i also had problems with DHCP part of the install. AND with auto partitioning. Try the two-step install, installing Debian first.

When I first tried installing Debian-10.8.0, I was able to install OMV and Realtek driver.

It seems that the kernel is different from when OMV is installed directly.

thanks you.

root@OpenMediaVault:~# omv-sysinfo omv-version

= openmediavault information

Release: 5.6.0-1

Codename: Usul

root@OpenMediaVault:~# uname -r

4.19.0-14-amd64

• Yes its older, you have to upgrade it from the gui panel. System grows from 1.7GB to 1.9GB and no longer fits on 2GB drive. When you install directly (if you manage to bypass installer problems) it upgrades itself.

So how the realtek performs? I'll have my hardware today and hopefully i'll be able to test it.

• Yes its older, you have to upgrade it from the gui panel. System grows from 1.7GB to 1.9GB and no longer fits on 2GB drive. When you install directly (if you manage to bypass installer problems) it upgrades itself.

So how the realtek performs? I'll have my hardware today and hopefully i'll be able to test it.

Thank you for the details.

The latest kernel version officially supported by Debian 10 is 4.19, so I use 4.19.

I confirmed RTL8111/8168/841 is 1000/Full using ethtool.

• So the OMV install went perfectly on T620 machine, how nice :)

The card is also working nice both ways out of the box, but it puts quite a load on the CPU. I'll test how it looks with actually using samba.

CPU 55%

CPU 35%

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!