unable to file transfer from shared folder to local folder

• greetings,

I am facing a new challenge!

The situation:

Unable to transfer 12GB from a shared folder to a local (window) folder.

configuration:

- OMV installed on a raspberry pi 4b 4GB

- External SSD 1T formatted on EXT4

- shared folder OMVBACKUP with Guest Allowed access rights

description:

Since about a week, I made about 3 clean install. In each of them I wiped (twice) and formatted the disk.
    created and mounted.

Created a shared folder and SMB share. Guest Allowed.

Added the OMV system backup plugin.
    Created a dd full disk with target folder the OMVBACKUP

Run the backup.
    Backup successfully created (6 small files and a large file of 12GB)

Back on the windows machine, I needed to have a copy of the disk image on local. Started the copy. All small files copy in a blink of the eye.
    The larger file starts good and does not even get to 1% that the transfer quickly decreases till hanging and failing.

Tests:

- Upload works fine. tried to upload a similar or larger file and the upload does not break.

- Opened my linux laptop, connected to the share, tried to download the 12GB file. Had same thing; in seconds the transfer failed.

- Took the HD locally, and could transfer the file super fast

- Changed network cable, did not solve the issue.
    - tested transferring large files from an other SMB share on an other server in my LAN and had no problem (to rul out the network issue)

HELP!

as it is, I cannot relay on the OMV NAS for backups or any sort of storage.

Can someone help me identify the problem?

Thanks

• UPDATE:

I have uploaded an other file of 12GB to a different shared folder. The upload to OMV works very fine.

The download from OMG is always failing the same way.
    Basically, uploading from OMG to other locations is not working.

Any suggestion for troubleshooting?

• hi geaves.

its wired (Ethernet).

but I noticed a far more disturbing situation.
    I noticed that along previews tests but I thought was jus a glitch...

Suddenly my external storage is gone !

The HD case flash, but OMV does not see it.
    I left it 2 day and 1 day never touched...

I cant make the test you requested.

I can re-install it again and do the test before the HD disappear again.

However, that is a serious issue!
    Any suggestion is welcome

I have a WD 3d nand blue storage (1T)

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Suddenly my external storage is gone !

The downside to USB storage is they are reliant on the USB chipset in the enclosure, in my 'spares' cupboard I have 4 external USB cases, the drives are fine but they will not work in the case, so my assumption is the chipset has died. I have a USB docking station that I use primarily for hard drive upgrades so I can test the drives in that and 99 times out of 100 the drives themselves are fine.

EDIT: that's a good point that raulfg3 makes, I'm guessing your WD is 2.5" therefore it would draw power from the USB

• 90% of fails on Pi are due a bad Power of external Disk, revise that your Disk have a stable and good power line.

Agree. I use the official raspberry pi power supply.
    Should be ok. If not, I guess we getting on a gray area of many unofficial pi power supplies .

But suggestions are always welcome

• The downside to USB storage is they are reliant on the USB chipset in the enclosure, in my 'spares' cupboard I have 4 external USB cases, the drives are fine but they will not work in the case, so my assumption is the chipset has died. I have a USB docking station that I use primarily for hard drive upgrades so I can test the drives in that and 99 times out of 100 the drives themselves are fine.

EDIT: that's a good point that raulfg3 makes, I'm guessing your WD is 2.5" therefore it would draw power from the USB

Its a SSD and should use less power.
    Yet, I will make a new installation and use a power usb hub to check about it.
    This should supply to the possible Pi power supply issue and the Drive power request.

I also have a second Pi and a second same drive. But a expansion board to be attached for a drive.
    I will give that a try and see if I have same problems

PS

Also using official raspberry pi power supply.

• Also some info re drive power consumption

reading this posts looks like they refer to non SSD disks and.

For a 2.5" SSD drive would be quite annoying to have extra power on a Pi. Specially when that is the only USB attached.
    Lets hope is not the case...
    There is one thing that actually bugs me; I also had Nextcloud with a 1T external drive attached and I do not have those issues for years.
    I would assume that the power consumption is equal if not higher (as that drive is not SSD). Yet I have no transfer issues or power issue (also same original power supply).

Shouldn't I have the same power issue to each equal device?

The inconsistency of this issue worries me a little!

I will continue researching and testing.

• Reading what you have just posted it would 'suggest' there could be an issue with the connectivity of the SSD to the USB, are you using a Sata to USB bridge adaptor.

I use a sata 3 case.
    I also thinking might be the case issue.
    I read on the SSD disk: 5vdc 1.6A

that should be ok for a raspberry pi!

I soon going to receive just a sata3 cable to usb3.

will test that as well

PS

I did got the usb case out of the Pi and directly to a computer. no issue transferring from same folder...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did got the usb case out of the Pi and directly to a computer. no issue transferring from same folder...

That would suggest a power problem with the Pi, there was another thread on here linked from Reddit where a user was using a Pi4 with 5 2.5" drives attached to a USB hub, it was some sort of charging hub, but the output from the hub was sufficient to power the drives and the Pi via the Pi's usb c. Found the thread on Reddit he was using this hub

• That would suggest a power problem with the Pi, there was another thread on here linked from Reddit where a user was using a Pi4 with 5 2.5" drives attached to a USB hub, it was some sort of charging hub, but the output from the hub was sufficient to power the drives and the Pi via the Pi's usb c. Found the thread on Reddit he was using this hub

Well... I dont have 5 drives but just one!
    Nevertheless, I will try the powered usb hub.
    I still consider that 1 SSD drive should be supported from the Pi. (5vdc 1.6A requested)
    As I mentioned on my Nextcloud, I have the exact configuration. however, the storage is not SSD but old type HD (2.5").

• so, here comes my report! :)

I installed a  X825 for the Pi (http://www.suptronics.com/mini…/images15/X825_1200p1.JPG). I reinstalled OMV with same procedure.
    Installed the omv system backup plugin and I am at the moment copying the image to my local drive.

I am at 76% and going strong!

I think we can define that the actual issue I had was the Sata case.

Finally I am happy to have found the issue.
    In the previews installation I had also other issue with the docker stability ... portainer kept disappearing and therefore could not rely on any docker.

I hope and think it is all related from the same Sata enclosure issue.
    I will continue the installation with docker and portainer in this new installation and see if keeps stable.

In such a case, all I have to do is trash the case or use it as a local usb drive for my computer.

I am going to set this as a solved issue.
    if something goes wrong, I will post again and re-open if is possible.

PS

can you tell me how to flag this as solved?
    Cant find any checkbox for it!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think we can define that the actual issue I had was the Sata case.

:thumbup: excellent at least you've found the problem

In the previews installation I had also other issue with the docker stability ... portainer kept disappearing and therefore could not rely on any docker.

Again there is an option you can do to help with this, another forum search :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!