OMV5 Cant detect all HDD's

• Hello All

I've been using OMV since version 2 but i'm new to this forum.

Ive tried to install OMV5 (clean install of course as instructed) and i discovered that it can only detect 5 out of my 8 HDD's.

The previous versions have all been fine.

I'm not a Linux expert but i have a bit of experience and i can usually overcome any issues by searching the web but this time to no avail.

Interestingly i found the same issue when i updated my version of GParted Live USB and used it on the same machine.

So obviously i'm thinking that this may be a broader problem for Debian based systems.

So the question is, does anyone know if this problem can be resolved somehow as i am keen to keep OMV up to date if possible as i had to 'roll back' to version 4 to get my NAS up and running again.

Many Thanks in advance

Nevy P

• Offizieller Beitrag

What hardware? What is the output of:

blkid

fdisk -l | grep -w Disk

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The good news is that Linux sees all of the drives. I can't explain why OMV doesn't. They don't have the same partition labels which is usually the problem. The bad part is that they are ntfs instead of a native Linux filesystem.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Ok

Thanks ryecoaaron

I decided to use NTFS for cross-compatibility and i've never had any issues so far and also if i wanted to use a Windows-based NAS/Server solution in the future i'd able to keep the data on the HDD's.

So what is your opinion ?

I'm not sure if it's OMV or Debian in general as the older versions are OK with the same setup

Many Thanks for your help so far

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of:

sudo omv-rpc -u admin "diskmgmt" "enumerateDevices" | python3 -m json.tool

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV is detecting all of your drives. Do you not see 8 drives in the Physical Disks tab?

• In OMV4 all is fine.

I can see all the disks in the discs section and also in the file systems section and i can mount them, setup SMB Shares etc etc.

In OMV5 only the first 5 disks appeared in the disc listing and file systems sections - OMV never stated they were 'missing' they just werent there.

As a side note i am using a SAS HDD controller for some of the drives as the mobo didn't have enough SATA ports.

Its not a problem i think as OMV4 works fine with the same setup.

And also when i've updated OMV in the past with a clean install i never formatted the 8 'data' drives or even disconnected them - when the OS was installed (using 'use entire disc' method) it found the HHD's straightaway and i just had to mount them again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the output from the command I gave you from OMV 4 or 5? I really don't want any OMV 4 details since we know that is working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV4, i did mention i had to reinstall version 4

I guess I thought you had a second system disk that you were plugging to switch between the versions.

I could possibly reinstall version 5 but it will take me a while to get the information back to you

That is the only thing that will help. OMV 4 info doesn't tell me what OMV 5 is doing. I'm guessing the OMV 5 Debian kernel doesn't see your sas card. I would try the proxmox kernel (install from omv-extras).

• The question is if i reinstall version 5 will the output files state that there are 5 working HDD's and not list the 'missing' 3 ?

OR will it say there are 5 working HDD's AND 3 'unable to detect' ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The question is if i reinstall version 5 will the output files state that there are 5 working HDD's and not list the 'missing' 3 ?

OR will it say there are 5 working HDD's AND 3 'unable to detect' ?

I would imagine that it will not list the missing 3 because the kernel doesn't see the sas card. The proxmox kernel is the Ubuntu LTS kernel and has different modules selected.

• Sorry for any confusion on my part but i've only got the one machine

I live in the UK its 6.15p.m now.

I could reinstall tomorrow and get the output AND then try the new kernel and get another output to compare

• OK

I will sort it out tomorrow and report back.

Its still intriguing why the later versions of GParted Live have the same issue (Bootable USB version).

Thanks for all your help

Nevy P

OMV 5.5.1-1 Usul | OMV Extras 5 |

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nevy P ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I could reinstall tomorrow and get the output AND then try the new kernel and get another output to compare

Whenever you want to do it. It isn't affecting my NAS :)

Its still intriguing why the later versions of GParted Live have the same issue.

Because gparted live is Debian with a Debian kernel. So, it is pretty much the same thing as OMV.

• Success!!!

Thanks ryecoaaron

I installed OMV5 (latest version of course) on to another SSD (to keep OMV4 as a backup) and ran it with the same result - only 5 out of 8 disks found.

I then installed OMV Extras 5 and installed the Promox kernel (following the instructions to reboot and clear the original kernel).

OMV5 saw all 8 disks immediately.

They've been mounted, SMB shares etc configured and everything works fine (with data intact).

Obviously there was an issue with the SAS card and the original kernel.

Thanks again for all of your help

I've also learnt some more about Linux

Cheers

Nevy P

• Offizieller Beitrag

Obviously there was an issue with the SAS card and the original kernel.

That just means the kernel module for your sas card isn't in the debian kernel. I think the proxmox kernel is very good anyway and run it myself.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!