Docker install of plex can't play media after power outtage possible permission issues

• Power went out today and my server ran out of battery. Booted it back up RAID is clean, file systems are all mounted. Plex shows the media but tells me the drive isn't mounted when I go to play it...

it worked just fine before all this. I can access the files via windows explorer and play so the files okay. I'm assuming i'm having a permission issue and honestly I had permission issues when i set up the docker after OMV5 upgrade. I had to reset and play around with permissions and acl's to get it to work properly and I'm pretty sure I have a mess of permissions that I should straighten up.

HELP

Thanks!

• There really isn't anything complicated about this. The Plex docker must be running as a user and group that can at least read all your media files.

So:

What user ID and group ID is the Plex docker running as?

What user ID owns the media files?

What are the permissions on the media files?

Forget about using ACLs. They are confusing and can be the very source of your problems.

99% of Plex problems are related to incorrect permissions.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• 100 1002 for plex

100 1000 for files

one folder inside my tv sub folder is 2774 another the tv folder is 2774 and the file I'm trying to play is 0777 another file is 0674

I'd like to get this set up properly whats my next step reset acl? reset permissions? Do i need to run plex as 100 1000?

• I have no idea how a power loss and reboot could change permission on file and directories.

My plex docker:

PUID 1001

PGID 100

The PUID and PGID are for a user (1001) fred and group (100) users. These numbers are arbitrary. But they must exist as a real user and a real group.

My media directories are permissioned 2755 and owned by user 1001 and group 100.

My media files are permissioned 0644 and are owned by user 1001 and group 100.

I do not use ACLs in the OMV WebGUI.

It all just works.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I'll change my plex to the same user as the files owner. whats the best way to fix this? under the options given under reset permissions I don't see an option to select between directories and files. just shared folders.

• just changing the user for my plex docker was enough to get it going. no idea why it had a mishap after rebooting. I still would like to get my permissions set properly so I don't have issues in the future. I've been meaning to make a thread about it because I played around with the ACL's so much to get plex working the first time.

• I don't set or change the media permissions in the OMV WebGUI. I do it in a shell script like this. It runs daily on cron.

Code
    #/bin/bash

find /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d1/sftp/outgoing/ -type d -exec chmod -R 2755 {} \;

find /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d1/sftp/outgoing/ -type d -exec chown -R fred:users {} \;

find /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d1/sftp/outgoing/ -type f -exec chown -R fred:users {} \;

find /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d1/sftp/outgoing/ -type f -exec chmod -R 644 {} \;

The directory in the above script is a mergerfs pool which has three subdirectories movies, music, and tv-series. This pool spans seven hard disks and is currently about 27TB of media files.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!