Syslog doesn't rotate

• Hi, OMV WebGUI today says that my syslog is 680 pages, 34000 records, and the last and only time he did logrotate was 9 days ago. I reinstalled the system recently.

All the files in /etc/logrotate.d have the date of today boot.

if I have a look into the files many of them (but not all) seem corrupt, here are some:

It seems there are strange characters (00 in hexadecimal) inside the files that truncate the scripts. Some file starting with "{" don't have the ending "}".

I don't know why, because the syslog management is completely in charge to Armbian that define the base rules.

Is there a way to bypass this strange situation and allow to rotate the logs correctly, once a week and storing them in a compressed way ?

I hope it is not necessary to rebuilt the system from scratch, I have done this too many times already.

• I tried to get by on my own trying to understand a little more:

So logrotate doesn't work because the scripts and the configuration files are corrupted and this was what I suspected.

But if I try to uninstall logrotate, to reinstall it again hoping it rebuilts those files, I get the warning:

"The following packages will be REMOVED:

logrotate openmediavault openmediavault-flashmemory openmediavault-omvextrasorg openmediavault-resetperms openmediavault-usbbackup"

So logrotate is strictly connected to OMV modules.

This makes me think who may have changed those scripts and configuration files ....

I think that the only solution to my problem is to start over by installing Armbian, OMV and Nextcloud.

I am certainly not very skilled, but a software that constantly forces me to reinstall the whole system is not the best !!

Probably thousands of users will disagree because they are completely satisfied, but after more than 2 months of "beta testing" I still haven't been able to put the services into "production". I just keep reinstalling everything all over again, until to meet the next problem...

• A harmless thing to try before doing drastic things is:

apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• ginsa

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Syslog don't rotate“ zu „Syslog doesn't rotate“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!