My new NAS 1U build

• I'm new here but wanted to share my build. It's a rack mount small form factor Home NAS and my goal was to run OMV5 with Plex as a plugin. I'm a first time user for OMV so still figuring things out as I go. I have everything installed, running, and super happy with the build so far.

Here are my specs:

iStar 1U Case M-140-ITX

Asus P11C-I Mini-ITX motherboard

Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHZ Quad Core

250 GB SSD to run OS

500 GB SSD M.2 drive for swap space/transcoding

4x WD 6GB Gold Hard drives (configured in Raid 10)

32GB DDR4 2666Mhz ECC memory

ASMB9-iKVM for remote monitoring

OMV5

Plex Docker

I figure if I outgrow my current enclosure iStar makes a nice 1u 4 disk JBOD case I could use to expand my current setup and double capacity.

My current challenges

- trying to get a win server to connect using iSCSI tgt. I've managed to successfully connect my hyperv server but it's not seeing the space.

- working through user rights and best way for family members to access it

- tweaking configurations and settings

• screamincamaro

Hat den Titel des Themas von „My new NAS build“ zu „My new NAS 1U build“ geändert.
  • OMV 5 Plex plugin? There is no longer any such thing. Did you mean Plex Docker?

You could get by with a much smaller SSD for the OS. I've run mine on a 16GB Samsung SSD for more than five years and still have plenty of free space on it.

Highly unlikely you ever need any swap at all. Try disabling it and see if it will survive. Transcoding on an SSD doesn't offer any improvements. Transcoding is a CPU intensive thing.

If you wind up expanding disk space, don't stop at a 4 disk case.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Yes Plex Docker. I had the 250GB SSD as a spare laying around so no big deal. I wasn't sure if I would need the swap space but figured having the transcoding on SSD space instead of HDD would be faster. The CPU I selected also has built in graphic processor to help with transcoding if needed. You're probably right though I have yet to see the CPU or memory max out. Thanks for the feedback.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!