After uninstall: SSH & Samba Logins are no longer working

• Hi!

I tried OMV 5 on my Raspberry Pi 4 but I did not like the software and decided to use plain old Samba instead. But boy oh boy am I having fun removing it.

I uninstalled it via apt-get and also reinstalled samba to reset the config file. Now there are only two things not working:

• SSH: The login does not work anymore. I always could log in with the default user (pi) and my password. Remote Desktop does still work.
    • Samba Shares: I tried to re-mount my home folder (home/pi), but I don't have writing permissions anymore. I also can't use my user/password combination to get the rights to do so (does not match).

I did not realize that OMV integrates deeply into the system so OF COURSE I have no backup. Is there some kind of guide how to reverse the changes to the user management? How can I login via SSH again?

Thanks for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there some kind of guide how to reverse the changes to the user management?

nope.

How can I login via SSH again?

Configure ssh. Start the service and change settings in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Coming to the OMV to ask how to get rid of OMV is normally not going to get you much help though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Coming to the OMV to ask how to get rid of OMV is normally not going to get you much help though.

Isn't that a shame. Providing a perfectly fine install script but no way to get rid of it...

I'll need at least some kind of hints what I need to change in the sshd_config file...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Isn't that a shame. Providing a perfectly fine install script but no way to get rid of it...

Really. What is my motivation for making a remove script? 99.9% don't remove it. The script wasn't designed to install on an old existing install. You could make an infinite number of settings changes. There is no way a script could return the system to pre-OMV. That is what a backup does. If you don't like OMV, you could just remove the plugins then the OMV package

apt-get purge openmediavault-*

apt-get purge openmediavault

I'll need at least some kind of hints what I need to change in the sshd_config file...

I'm not sure why you need to change anything. But of course, I have no idea what you did to remove OMV. I just removed omv as I instructed above and it didn't affect ssh - no problems logging in.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• SSH is working again, the user 'pi' was no longer part of the 'ssh' user group.

[EDIT] I also got Samba user login working again :). I reinstalled it and added this smb.conf:

Code
    [global]
       workgroup = WORKGROUP
       security = user
       encrypt passwords = yes
       client min protocol = SMB2
       client max protocol = SMB3

[home]
       path = /home/pi
       read only = no

Then I re-activated the user:

Code
    sudo smbpasswd -a pi

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!