ssh for non root users

• Hello,

new on OMV and new/novice linux user in general.

I am trying to make a user that will only have access to a samba share that I just created and another user that will have ssh abilities (without root privileges). All this for extra security.

I have disabled "permit root login".

I have created a user (lets call him "user_a")that I connect on the samba share that I created.

I have created a second user (lets call him "user_b) that is only assigned to the ssh group. This user is also in the "user" group.

Along with the first user, a group was automatically created with the same name. Group name: "user_a"

ssh only works for user_b. All good so far. However when I try "rm" with user_b, I can actually delete files/folders. Shouldn't this be prohibited as it is not a root user?

Thanks in advance

• However when I try "rm" with user_b, I can actually delete files/folders. Shouldn't this be prohibited as it is not a root user?

The ability to delete files or folders is not restricted to the root user. The ability to delete depends on the permissions on the files or folders.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The ability to delete files or folders is not restricted to the root user. The ability to delete depends on the permissions on the files or folders.

Ok though so, but was not quite sure.

apt-get update would be a good way or this is also not restricted to the root user (I cannot check right now as I am away from the machine)?

I am a bit lost on the difference on privileges and ACL. Haven't looked it up yet, will have to clear that out.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!