Advice/experiences multiple HDD enclosure

• Hi guys,

I want to add HDD's to my setup and am searching for an external multi disk HDD enclosure. Do you guys have experiences with these things? Which brands have stable solutions? I've looked at Mediasonic, but reviews are not very good, many failures with connections.

I prefer to use eSATA over USB, seems more stable and faster.

Any other tips?

Thanks!

• I'm also looking at Icy Box, but their eSATA only has 3 gb/s throughput, I would like to have more then that. I don't understand why it isn't 6 gb/s. USB is an option, but I have the feeling it isn't as stable as eSATA.

• Forget about eSATA or USB. Go with professional grade gear instead, you will not regret it.

I built my own Direct Attached Storage (DAS) box.

The Silverstone DS380B case holds eight hot swappable drives. If I had the room for it I would have used a Silverstone CS380B case instead. The only components in the box are the drives, the power supply, a 2 port SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 adapter with PCI Slot profile mounting bracket, and a pair of SFF-8087 forward breakout cables.

This DAS box connects to my OMV server's LSI 9200-8E Host Bus Adapter with a pair of 1 meter long SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 cables.

Picture of the rear of the box attached.

• This is great advice, thanks. Will have to look into it, needs some more research with respect to psu and adapters. This is new territory.

How do all the drive connect to the adapter? Don't you need a motherboard? Do you have an example of a card?

No problems with heat? I just read an article of someone with such problems.

• Any reasonable PSU will do, so long as it is proper for the case. Forward breakout cables connect the drives to the 2 port SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 adapter. This is direct attached storage, not network attached storage. There is no need for a motherboard and OS. The drives run a bit warm in the DS380 case. It comes with three 120mm fans. The CS380 looks like it would do better thermally. But for this type of system you could use any case. Here is a post I made with links to the parts I used.

RE: Any suggestions for SAS enclosure, 4 or 8 drives 3.5". DIY or not.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The link I posted for the card I used has changed since I bought my card. I paid $59.00 and the vendor has also changed. You can find these used on ebay (US) for a lot less money.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm…_nkw=LSI+9200-8E&_sacat=0

The card you linked to is not a proper choice. It has internal 8087 connectors (8i). You need external 8088 connectors (8e). The card you linked to is also a RAID card. You don't need a RAID card so you are wasting money. You need what is called a Host Bus Adapter (HBA). This has no RAID capability, it only works in IT mode.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• A 16 port card would also be a good choice. That would allow you to add another case with another 8 drives in it if needed in the future.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!