SMART not working

• Hello again with more Noddy questions.

I have OMV5 installed (5.5.23-1)

I have a number of Hard drives installed, formatted to ext4 and mounted. They can be seen by the system and are used by SnapRaid and Mergerfs to create a single volume.

The problem is when I click on the SMART option under Storage I get the error message below. Is this a known bug? Is there a fix for this? Have I set up the drives/mounts incorrectly? Can it be fixed without losing the data on them (not the end of the world if I do, just time & annoyance). Thanks to all the geniuses out there who know a whole lot more than I do.

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; smartctl -x '/dev/sde' 2>&1' with exit code '1': smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-linux-5.9.0-0.bpo.5-amd64] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, http://www.smartmontools.org /dev/sde: requires option '-d cciss,N' Please specify device type with the -d option. Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

Error #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; smartctl -x '/dev/sde' 2>&1' with exit code '1': smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-linux-5.9.0-0.bpo.5-amd64] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, http://www.smartmontools.org

/dev/sde: requires option '-d cciss,N'
    Please specify device type with the -d option.

Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/storage/smartinformation.inc:166
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/storage/smartinformation.inc(198): OMV\System\Storage\SmartInformation->getData()
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/storage/smartinformation.inc(404): OMV\System\Storage\SmartInformation->getAttributes()
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/smart.inc(91): OMV\System\Storage\SmartInformation->getTemperature()
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(635): Engined\Rpc\Smart->Engined\Rpc\{closure}()
    #4 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/smart.inc(107): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->asyncProc(Object(Closure))
    #5 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Smart->enumerateDevices(NULL, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/smart.inc(174): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('enumerateDevice...', NULL, Array)
    #8 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Smart->getList(Array, Array)
    #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getList', Array, Array)
    #11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusy2...', '/tmp/bgoutputl7...')
    #12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))
    #13 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/smart.inc(209): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('getList', Array, Array)
    #14 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Smart->getListBg(Array, Array)
    #15 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #16 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getListBg', Array, Array)
    #17 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Smart', 'getListBg', Array, Array, 1)
    #18 {main}

• You need to provide more information about your hardware, otherwise we really can not help. How is this disk attached? Through a HW-RAID? Which product/vendor?

Hardware in HP DL380P with dual Xeon e5-2650 v2

Disc controller is P420i operating as a HBA only - hardware RAID is disabled.

All disks are otherwise seen by core linux and by OMV. I have been able to format drives, with OMV, as well as create snapRaid/mergerFS cluster. I cant read and write data to the disc, either directly through putty, through OMV or from a remote windows device to SMB enabled shares.

When I go to Smartmontools.com they released V7.2 a month ago whereas the error code implies this is a 3 year old tool at v6.6. is OMV using older tools?

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I go to Smartmontools.com they released V7.2 a month ago whereas the error code implies this is a 3 year old tool at v6.6. is OMV using older tools?

OMV is based on Debian, so it can only use what they are shipping. But Debian backports critical bugs to their older package version. OMV6 (based on Debian 11) will include 7.2.

But the smartmontools version is totally independend from your issue. The problem is that OMV does not know about your HBA and because of that smartmontools is not called with the necessary command args.

If you want to get your HBA supported in OMV you need to contribute to the project, because without hardware we are not able to implement it. Please check the following GitHub PRs that are implementing the necessary logic to support other HBAs.

https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/567

https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/535

Please open an issue for a feature request at https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues providing all necessary information that are mentioned in the PRs above.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The first thing to do is to find out which arguments must be set to get smartctl -x '/dev/sde' running successful. The next step is then to find a way to auto-detect your HBA and tell the OMV backend to append that necessary command args for devices that are attached to your HBA.

The command line should look like something mentioned here: https://www.smartmontools.org/…upported_RAID-Controllers

P.S.: I found various problems with this HBA

https://www.reddit.com/r/homel…e_smartctl_only_works_on/

https://forum.proxmox.com/thre…hp-p420i-and-smart.79669/

https://serverfault.com/questi…sd-drive-behind-a-smartar

• So I'm no IT expert by a long way. But so far.

If is use smartctl -a -d cciss,N /dev/sda I can get the SMART data. The /dev/sda is irrelevant except the command needs it as it doesn't seem to identify the drive. The actual drive is defined by the N with my drives being 0 to 11 (I suspect for the 25 bay SFF version it may run 0 to 24 but I only have a 12 bay LFF.)

Next step is to figure out how to identify the HBA. (Any hints greatly received as I'm about day 10 of linux)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hmmm, 11 disks does not really look like a home solution, but ok.

Here are the commands to be executed. I used /dev/sde here because i assume that this is attached to the HBA.

Code
    $ cat /proc/partitions
    $ udevadm info /dev/sda
    $ udevadm info -q all -a /dev/sde
    $ cat /sys/block/sde/device/model
    $ cat /sys/block/sde/device/vendor
    $ ls -alh /sys/block/sde
    $ cat /sys/block/sde/device/../../../driver
    $ ls -alh /sys/class/scsi_host

Please create a new feature request on GitHub and post the command outputs there, the forum is not meant to be used for that.

• Hmmm, 11 disks does not really look like a home solution, but ok.

Here are the commands to be executed. I used /dev/sde here because i assume that this is attached to the HBA.

Code
    $ cat /proc/partitions
    $ udevadm info /dev/sda
    $ udevadm info -q all -a /dev/sde
    $ cat /sys/block/sde/device/model
    $ cat /sys/block/sde/device/vendor
    $ ls -alh /sys/block/sde
    $ cat /sys/block/sde/device/../../../driver
    $ ls -alh /sys/class/scsi_host

Please create a new feature request on GitHub and post the command outputs there, the forum is not meant to be used for that.

Hi,

I don't have an account with Github or have the slightest idea of how to use it, what its for or anything like that. How do I do what you keep saying and how does that help me?

Thanks.

Think I've raised a new bug report now. #959 if im reading/doing it right. THANK YOU

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von CraigG () aus folgendem Grund: Figured out Github (I Hope)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't have an account with Github or have the slightest idea of how to use it, what its for or anything like that. How do I do what you keep saying and how does that help me?

As said, the forum is not meant to be to discuss and track code improvements. Implementing such a feature requires multiple iterations, and GitHub is the best approach for that because that way code changes and discussions are on sync.

If you want to get your HBA supported in OMV please go that route.

• I use similar hardware as used in this case, but my P410 card does not support HBA mode, so I use RAID mode. So far I have had the S.M.A.R.T. disabled because I get the same error as in this case, but now I have added two disks directly to the motherboard that could be read by the S.M.A.R.T. Is there a way to avoid the error when using my card in RAID mode? In case my card cannot be read, it may be the S.M.A.R.T. disabled for disks on the P410 card and keep enabled for those on the motherboard?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!