USB-harddrives disconnect frrom OMV on Raspberrypi 4

• Hi everybody,

I'm nearly at the point to shutdown my OMV-NAS. I have my OMV-NAS running on a Raspberrypi 4. OMV is version 5 with the latest updates from yesterday. Two external HDD are connected via the Raspberry's two USB 3 connectors. I started the project several months ago and had these problems from the beginning. After a lot of searching, reading and a new installation I read about insufficient power supplies as the source of those problems. So I switched to Power-supplies you use as supplies for Notebooks or so with an output of 3 Amperes. The problem is still there. By the way: The harddrives are two WD Red Pro with 4 TB space.

The drives even disconnect while copying files from or to the OMV. They simply can be reconnected to the system, but minutes later they disconnect. Does anybody have any idea what could be done next? To me it seems to be a hardware-problem, you can hear the drives disconnect (moving head).

Thanks for help in advance!

Ralf-Günther

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's the type I just found, but adding extra power will make no difference the power supply on those are 12v 2A which is more than sufficient.

That brings us down the hard drives themselves, those powered usb to sata bridges, both drives being plugged into both USB 3.0 at the same time.

The hard drives are specific internal drives, are they repurposed or refurbished.

Whilst not a solution have you tried one drive in USB3 and the other in USB2

Have you tried attaching one drive only

The above is a process of elimination.

What you have used is not something I would consider, I have one of these whilst I don't use all the time it has proved invaluable, but this has 2 x USB to sata bridge with a single USB3 connection

• Well, I bought the harddirves particular for this purpose. They are new; without a case (I know, not very stylish and professional ;-)).

I use one of the drives as the data-drive, the other one for backup. I'm not sure if I already tried to use only one Drive or split them to USB 3 and USB 2; I seem to have lost the track over the months. I also have an ICY Box; seems to be a similar kind of hardware you suggested. Perhaps I should try this one first (never used it with OMV)??

• I connected the ICY Box and the system doesn't even recognize it! The box seems to be valueless (different than yours, obviously). It has the same behaviour when I connect it to my pc. Sometimes it works, other times not. I have two of them; both the same!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I connected the ICY Box and the system doesn't even recognize it! The box seems to be valueless (different than yours, obviously). It has the same behaviour when I connect it to my pc. Sometimes it works, other times not. I have two of them; both the same!

It won't work without a drive installed in it, the unit itself is not specific hardware per se

I use one of the drives as the data-drive, the other one for backup

Then the data drive could be used in USB3 and the backup in a USB2, your problem is either, the RPi, or the two being connected to the USB3 and being used simultaneously

• Zitat

It won't work without a drive installed in it, the unit itself is not specific hardware per se

Yes, I wasn't specific enough! The drives were installed wehen I connected it! I will now try to connect only one drive at USB3 and if that will work I will add the other one on USB2 and see what happens!

• Zitat

Sorry, what we write in a forum can get lost in each others meaning :)

That much is certain. :)

By the way: I'm right now transfering some files to the NAS since about 10 to 15 minutes and what should I say: The damn thing is still working! I seem to be establishing a record here! ;);)

I hope I'm not too optimistic!, let's wait a while!

Thank you for your help to this point. I will keep you informed!

• So, now here is the result:

It is like you suspected: Two Harddrives at the two USB3-connectors doesn't work, but one at USB3 and the other one at USB2 functions well. I will keep this configuration. Though it would be interesting to know why the other way is not working. I would think it is some kind of hardware-problem.

Thank you very much for your help. :thumbup::thumbup::):)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Though it would be interesting to know why the other way is not working. I would think it is some kind of hardware-problem.

Best guess both USB3 are using the same bus, likewise with the USB2, so using a single drive in each the Pi behaves itself.

• I connected the ICY Box and the system doesn't even recognize it!

When did you install patches the last time via apt update;apt upgrade?

Many USB controller firmware updates have been released in the last 3 months (details here)

I've a similar 2 port HDD dock that works perfectly on the RPi4 (using latest firmware).

Together with your other observation I'd assume either a firmware issue a hardware defect on one of the RPi USB3 ports.

Did you try the ICY Box on both USB3 ports without it being recognized?

the command lsusb is helpful to verify that, maybe try on a second computer too

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• maybe try on a second computer too

I actually did. And that reminded me of the fact that this hardware had the same problem at my computer, too. Not always, but from time to time. Not only one of the, but both (I have two of them). Defenitely a hardware issue, I would say.

• Often the cables are the root cause, did you try with another cable?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• After 18 days, I managed to take a look at my NAS yesterday. Sadly, both devices were not mounted. I tried several devices with several cables (so I would exclude the cables as the root problem) and it did not work constantly.

I remounted the two HD's and minutes later one of it wasn't mounted anymore. Then checked the syslog and found this:

syslog.txt

I am no expert in this but it seems to me that first the HD's were recognized correctly and later didn' t work anymore.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This has appeared on here before but there never seems to be a definitive answer, the only difference with yours is that they are online, rather than missing.

In that syslog there is reference to /proc/self/mount now the drives AFAIK should be referenced in that file, also the log states this is not a mount point, so check the fstab, cat /etc/fstab.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!