New\Old NAS build

• Hello All

I have been a user of omv since almost the beginning and the software is still by far the best by a long way.

I mostly use docker, portainer, plex, homeassistant, transmission, shinobi.

So onto my new build.

Case = Node 304

mobo = gigabyte z270N-wifi mini-itx

cpu = intel i7 7700

ram = 32GB Corsair lpx 2133mhz

PSU = 600w gold Seasonic

sas card = ibm M5015 (flashed to 9260-8i)

os = 256GB nvme ( 40GB for OS, rest for dockers)

cache = 128GB sandisk ssd

storage drives = 8TB WD red (WD80EFZX) ( in a raid5 array from old omv server)

temp drive = 2TB WD green

So i have questions.

Should i just stick with mdadm?

I am tempted to use zfs for my new build in a raidz1.

Would i be better getting 1 more 8tb drive and having 2 raidz1s. so i would have 2 x 16TB arrays?

will 1 Raidz1 array be ok with 5 drives?

Can i add the new wd red drives into the array with the 256mb buffer compared to my 128?

• cache = 128GB sandisk ssd

how did you configure a cache disk?

Asking because of this feature request in GH

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• how did you configure a cache disk?

Asking because of this feature request in GH

Howdy, well my motherboard is in the post and arriving tomorrow so building it physically then.

I was hoping to use it as a cache disk. In my previous OMV NAS i am using that space for my plex lib files\ metadata etc. and other bits needing fast access. an unoficvial cache.

Just thinking it would be real helpful for zfs possibly or cache for plex transcoding etc.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!