New openmediavault-kvm plugin

• Thankyou - yes I just found that guide. Very much appreciate you response. I have created VMs but only on Windows environments. Started with a need to run software that would only work on XP so created a Win XP VM on Win 10 - surprised it worked actually. Managed to get XP activated and even got Norton Antivirus to work. Only been using OMV for just over 12 months as File Servers - very easy to install and configure and has lots of nice features. I read this complete posting and was just looking for more concise steps to follow .. I will attack the Win 10 VM over the weekend and hopefully succeed. Thanks again for the reply.

• Hi THX for all the nice WORK!!! I am a noob in Linux and i installed the VM in "only" 1 day... If anyone had told me that i have to host the .iso and install the driver ins windows it has saved me about 4 hours. But okay not your fault ist because im a noob.

I have a question: Is it possible to add TPM2.0 support to KVM?

THX al lot.

Case: Supermicro 836 | Netzteil: Seasonic SS400-U1L | Mainboard: ASRock X470 Taichi | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G ,CPU | Kühler: Noctua NH-D9L | Ram: 64GB DDR4 SK Hynix 3200MHz | Controler: LSI 9400-16i HBA | Intel x710-DA4 | HDD: 2x Seagate exos 16TB, 1X Seagate ironWolf 14TB. 1x 2x Seagate exos 18TB | SSD: 1x Sandis plus 2TB, 1x Samsung evo 1TB, 1x WD green 480gb (OS), WD Red SN700 1TB

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it possible to add TPM2.0 support to KVM?

Yes but not super easy. I assume you are asking for Win11?

https://tpm2-software.github.i…-Emulation-With-QEMU.html

https://www.tecklyfe.com/how-t…nt-to-install-windows-11/

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Supposedly this can do tpm or whatever is needed.

RE: New openmediavault-kvm plugin

Have not tried it yet.

When I tested it, Win11 installed but was in the "can't upgrade" mode. I didn't look at the xml but I'm guessing the tpm isn't setup or is setup wrong.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hi, thx for response. Yes its for win 11. I cant get it to wirk in the xml file with thhe code from

https://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#tpm-device

Code
    <devices> 
     <tpm model='tpm-tis'> 
       <backend type='emulator' version='2.0'>    
      <encryption secret='6dd3e4a5-1d76-44ce-961f-f119f5aad935'/>  
      </backend>  </tpm>
    </devices>

or

Code
    <devices>
      <tpm model='tpm-tis'> 
       <backend type='passthrough'>    
      <device path='/dev/tpm0'/>    
    </backend>  </tpm>
    </devices>

my CPU is an i5 8400 and i have activate TMP in bios. Did i have to do anything else then pot these lines in xml file=?

Case: Supermicro 836 | Netzteil: Seasonic SS400-U1L | Mainboard: ASRock X470 Taichi | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G ,CPU | Kühler: Noctua NH-D9L | Ram: 64GB DDR4 SK Hynix 3200MHz | Controler: LSI 9400-16i HBA | Intel x710-DA4 | HDD: 2x Seagate exos 16TB, 1X Seagate ironWolf 14TB. 1x 2x Seagate exos 18TB | SSD: 1x Sandis plus 2TB, 1x Samsung evo 1TB, 1x WD green 480gb (OS), WD Red SN700 1TB

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did i have to do anything else then pot these lines in xml file=?

I don't know. Your lines look ok but I really don't use Windows.

• Yes they look okay but the vm did not start when the lines are in the xml

• well got Win 10 VM installed and running - only issue was virt-manager and after several hours gave up and used VNC to get console. Ran updates in Win 10 without issue. The Windows VNC on my notebook accessing the OMV box had issues with the mouse pointer not lining up - ?? any ideas ?? so used Cockpit and VNC Console works fine with no mouse pointer issues. I suppose the process was quite painless after a few hiccups. Like all software once you know how and work your way through it seems logical.

• A couple of issues with Win 10 VM in KVM. Mouse loses tracking - if i double click within the Console screen it fixes it but will lose tracking again if move out of console and back in again - any ideas would be appreciated. Also can i set the NW ipv4 to a fixed IP in the same subnet as the OMV? From the Win 10 VM i can browse the network and connect to OMV shares but NOT other Windows PC/shares. From other Windows PC cannot connect to Win 10 VM shared data disk only OMV shares. The issue is obviously that the OMV and other Windows PC are on 192.168.2.xxx but the Win 10 VM is on 192.168.122.xxx - can i change the VM to fixed IP 192.168.2.88 for example or will it break it? any assistance appreciated

• Just love how there is always an issue - mouse divergence when moving in/out of VNC console - the screen in VNC console also looks to be incorrect aspect ratio although I have no idea what is should look like but it does not match the screen running the VNC console. So Win VM on KVM works wonderfully now just need a console that doesn't have mouse/pointer issues ... no such issues when running VMs on Windows ...

• As I have come to accept with OMV and KVM .. silly little quirks that frustrate. So browsing the network from Win VM on KVM OMV can see OMV shares and connect without issue. Can see and connect to Win VM shares (obviously) but cannot connect to other Win PC shares by NAME - can connect using IP address so assume DNS issue - however OMV can connect to internet by name, Win VM can connect to internet by name but Win VM cannot connect to other networked PC by NAME only by IP address. Makes no sense. Anyone have any ideas ? Just to reiterate - OMV on 192.168.2.xxx, Win VM on KVM OMV on 192.1683.122.xxx and networked PCs on 192.168.2.xxx. Should I add another interface on Win VM with static IP 192.168.2.xxx with no gateway??

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most of these issues are Windows issues. I didn't read all of them but it looks like you need to install the virtio drivers. There is a menu to download the iso in the Pool tab and you can attach to the VM to install them.

• Well I guess they are Windows issues in that OMV, KVM and VM are not that flexible when it comes to playing friendly with Windows networks. Tried changing the virtual nw interface to the 192.168.2.0 subnet like the rest of the LAN - Windows PC incl. VM could see each other, LAN PCs could see OMV but VM could not connect to OMV - assumed because they are both using the same nic. Solved the problem - deleted virtual NW interface (created on 192.168.122.0 subnet during VM creation), installed a secong nic, added it in OMV and left it disable with no configuration, go to VM config in Cockpit, add the nic with no settings, go the the VM Win 10 > control panel > networking and sharing, change adaptor settings, set a fixed IP on the 192.168.2.xxx subnet with Gateway and DNS pointing to 192.168.2.1 (router). DONE - all discoverable and connectable from all Win PCs (incl. VM) and OMV ... install Deltacopy server and client on VM, backup any Win PCs on the LAN to shares on OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV, KVM and VM are not that flexible when it comes to playing friendly with Windows networks.

No. You just need to do some things differently to accomplish what you are doing. Windows does not really know it is a VM. If you need the guest to talk to the host, you need to setup a bridge. Did you read this guide?

• yes I did read the guide and found it very helpful in setting up the VM. However when trying to achieve an outcome that involves Windows LAN the workarounds and extra manual configs needed are vague and trial and error. In my case the OMV is very configurable and predictable but integration with a Windows LAN is very basic by default. I look for a method than can be reproduced easily and without complex hacks to achieve what can be done with more rational approach. The second nic made it simple to achieve what I needed and all through GUI. I was baptised into computer world in days of punch cards a and telex machines > magnetic card readers > WANG floppy disk systems > and then the holy grail UNIX > an ICL Perq running POS/PNX - a marvellous beast $48000 with 1Mn RAM + $9000 for an extra 1Mb > then DOS on desktop PCs because you could buy 8 desktop PCs for the cost of 1 Perq and software for a tenth of the cost with the joys of jumpers to set IRQs and Master/Slave HDs - the joy of it all. Then came Windows and then Plug'n'Play. Windows 95, 98 and NT were OK, 2000 nearly got there and XP was stable enough to hang around for 10 yrs. Then the saviour for all those running apps that could gain huge benefit from extra RAM - Windows 7 64bit - the most stable and usable version so far, MS fell off the cliff Vista, shot themselves in the foot with 8 and 9 never made it past beta, 10 is a joke from a business point of view - Mine Craft and XBox by default ?? really ?? all to an end that MS see as the ultimate networked world. For samll business just wanting a Workgroup (frowned upon by MS) it's back to UNIX/Linux ... the lack of a GUI that affords complex configs and more importantly complex re-configs is a real shame. Ubuntu Desktop is pretty and works OK but while Samba is available the config is ridiculously difficult and of course Ubuntu Server is great but no GUI. Enter OMV - excellent GUI for setting up Samba and shares and logical in approach. Thankyou to all who have developed plug-ins etc as they make life easier. However when integrating with Windows networks - a necessary evil all the hacks and manual editing needs to be avoided to create some semblance of an SOE. Please don't take my comment the wrong way - eternally grateful for all the assistance provided by forums and guides, plug-ins etc when attacking the linux issues but when trying to solve a unique issue with what probably seems to be a weird setup that I was trying to create then had to stop and put my Windows cap on and think about how Windows does it. Worked for me anyway for this particular setup. Still annoyed that all linux apps to get a Console on the VM suffered from mouse pointer divergence - probably my setup to blame with laptop screen res and VM console screen res?? Anyway Teamviewer to the rescue so all good.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thankyou to all who have developed plug-ins etc as they make life easier. However when integrating with Windows networks - a necessary evil all the hacks and manual editing needs to be avoided to create some semblance of an SOE. Please don't take my comment the wrong way - eternally grateful for all the assistance provided by forums and guides, plug-ins etc when attacking the linux issues but when trying to solve a unique issue with what probably seems to be a weird setup that I was trying to create then had to stop and put my Windows cap on and think about how Windows does it. Worked for me anyway for this particular setup. Still annoyed that all linux apps to get a Console on the VM suffered from mouse pointer divergence - probably my setup to blame with laptop screen res and VM console screen res?? Anyway Teamviewer to the rescue so all good.

With the above noted, please consider what OMV is (along with the KVM plugin). They are (one) "free" and (two) "a hobby" pursuit for very few developers. In fact, most of the work that's done with OMV's plugins is done by one (1) developer.

What I'm saying is, OMV's KVM plugin is NOT Proxmox or VSphere. With those virtualization platforms, who have plenty of supporting staff and developers, you'll find far more networking options. Check them out. And with Virtual Box, which is Desktop client-centric, there are client add-in's for pointers, video, sound, USB connectivity, etc.

While very good, the KVM plugin was never intended to be a complete and all encompassing virtualization solution for all. However, it is an excellent add-on for a server where, with adequate hardware resources, additional server functions can added and run in isolation.

• Offizieller Beitrag

However when trying to achieve an outcome that involves Windows LAN the workarounds and extra manual configs needed are vague and trial and error. In my case the OMV is very configurable and predictable but integration with a Windows LAN is very basic by default.

The plugin won't change network settings that are configured by OMV itself. This can be an issue if you are doing something that needs a bridge setup.

And if there is something else I can possibly add to the plugin, I would consider it. But I would need you to post a guide on what you are doing. I don't like or use Windows and definitely can't think of the million ways Windows users try to setup networking.

My vision for this plugin is to keep it simple. I don't want the plugin to be focused on Windows-only functionality if they can be added in ways that I don't have to maintain. I am a VMware admin by day and this plugin will probably be influenced by vCenter but I also used Proxmox for years. So, it should feel like a mix.

• The plugin won't change network settings that are configured by OMV itself. This can be an issue if you are doing something that needs a bridge setup.

And if there is something else I can possibly add to the plugin, I would consider it. But I would need you to post a guide on what you are doing. I don't like or use Windows and definitely can't think of the million ways Windows users try to setup networking.

My vision for this plugin is to keep it simple. I don't want the plugin to be focused on Windows-only functionality if they can be added in ways that I don't have to maintain. I am a VMware admin by day and this plugin will probably be influenced by vCenter but I also used Proxmox for years. So, it should feel like a mix.

I don't believe it would be worth while trying to incorporate things to suit the weird setup I just created - definitely a one-off after the issues encountered. The KVM works nicely and my "creation" seemed like an easy solution for a Windows user with minimal linux knowledge to manage - probably a dangerous presumption. Now begins my quest to find another solution and I will certainly take your suggestions on board.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!