Rsync "Preserve Extended Attributes"

• Greetings.

This is a stupid question....I know it's a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway because this is driving me crazy.

I have an Rsync job that runs on my RPI4 every night and connects to my other computer (Windows 10 laptop) hosting my iTunes music.. It's been working great.

However, I've noticed something odd....if I look inside the various music folders of my Win10 laptop all I see are .mp3 and .m4a files. When I look at the folders on the OMV RPI that Rsync writes to I see the same files but I also see desktop.ini, folder.jpg, AlbumArt.jpg. files.

Before anyone asks....yes, I'm sure those files don't exist on the Windows 10 laptop side (I have view hidden files, show files extension selected).

I have two guesses as to what may be causing this but I'd really appreciate feedback if anyone else has seen this.

My guesses:

1. I have "Preserve Extended Attributes" selected on the OMV Rsync job and it's reading the embedded tag info from the .mp3/.m4a files and recreating those attributes on the OMV disk

2. When my Sonos soundbar connects to the OMV share it populates the directories with these .jpg/.ini files

These are just guesses but do I win a prize if any of them are correct? Has anyone else seen this?

• AFAIK, preserving extended attributes refers to Linux ACL settings (special access rights for specific users/groups to specific folders).

I don't think rsync even knows about metadata in music files, nor would it create any new files of its own that aren't on the source side. That's not its job.

Sounds like your Sonos may be the culprit, although I don't know why it would create desktop.ini files on a non-Windows share... as these files are specific to Windows.

Are you absolutely sure they aren't already in your Windows-side folder?

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I look at the folders on the OMV RPI that Rsync writes to I see the same files but I also see desktop.ini, folder.jpg, AlbumArt.jpg. files

Those files are specific to W10 created by iTunes on your W10 laptop, and I can confirm as cubemin has stated all rsync is doing is copying what it 'sees' it does not magically create files.

• At first, I thought it was iTunes as well but I performed a test:

1. On the Win10 laptop I removed all *.jpg/*.ini files in the Music folder

2. On the Win10 laptop I verified there were no hidden files in the Music folder

3. On the OMV Music share I removed all *.jpg/*.ini files

4. I manually ran the rsync job and noticed rsync output was pulling over .jpg/.ini files

5. After the rsync job completed successfully, I checked the OMV Music share and noticed all of the *.jpg/*.ini files had reappeared.

To rule out Sonos as the culprit I have also removed my music library from the Sonos controller (the app used to interface with Sonos). I did this before step #1.

Something I noticed that I neglected to mention before....there is also a .qsync folder on my OMV music share that gets moved during the job. My old QNAP NAS went out a few months back.....which is why I'm here now. I have removed all QNAP utilities from the laptop.

• Offizieller Beitrag

At first, I thought it was iTunes as well but I performed a test

iTunes creates the metadata files, .jpg's the desktop.ini is created by Windows O/S, unless you enable the Delete option on the rsync job, then they will reappear because they are in the incremental list from the initial rsync. So if you don't want those files to appear on the destination after you have removed them from the source then set the Delete option in the rysnc job.

But, the .jpg files and the ini files will probably reappear on your iTunes Music folder anyway

• I

iTunes creates the metadata files, .jpg's the desktop.ini is created by Windows O/S, unless you enable the Delete option on the rsync job, then they will reappear because they are in the incremental list from the initial rsync. So if you don't want those files to appear on the destination after you have removed them from the source then set the Delete option in the rysnc job.

But, the .jpg files and the ini files will probably reappear on your iTunes Music folder anyway

I'll give this a try. Thanks geaves!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!