unable to delete a sub/folder

• Greetings,

Situation:

• New OMV 5 installation BTRFS
    • created 2 shared folders: public and backup
    • I than created a new folder with the name of the user that will backup: user_name
    • I made a mistake and created under public folder.
      So I modified it and edited it and changed the location to backup/user_name.
      I got a massage to confirm that the system will move user_name from public/user_name to backup/user_name with all its contents (there is noting yet in any folders). I accepted the change

Long story short, I dont have the option to delete the subfolder as the delete button is grayed out.

WHAT I DID:

frustrated to not be able to use the GUI to delete a folder I did not want, I SSH on it and deleted the folder manually.

However, the folder keep showing in the GUI.

and the path remain the same.
    Curiously, if I select the subfolder and I click on ACL button, I do have an error about the folder not existing (correctly):

rectoryIterator::__construct(/srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-WDC_WDS100T2B0A-00SM50_193853802694-part1/backup/user_name/): failed to open dir: No such file or directory

What is actually happening?

Anyway I can delete sub folders?

Having deleted manually (SSH) the folder under backup, how can I actually delete the GUI entry?

Thank you. I hope you can help me.

• UPDTATE (yes, I am still trying to solve this issue!;))

I now tried to delete the /backup folder.
    Got an error message:

Cannot unlink the shared folder content because another shared folder is referencing a subdirectory

I think we getting close to something; I guess when I moved the folder, actually was not moved but referenced.

Do you know how to change or remove the reference?

PS

all SMB have been deleted.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you add the share back and delete it properly?

Create a new share

Name the share

Choose the drive you want to point it at (presumably with the one that has the folder causing problems)

In the path, choose the folder you want to delete.

Save

Then when it's done, delete the new share (share+ content) from the webUI.

• if that is the case, did not work:

The configuration object 'conf.system.sharedfolder' is not unique. An object with the property 'name' and value 'user_name' already exists.

in this case, it complains of the Name column using same name as the one I cannot delete.

So I changed the Name to user_name1 for the name column. But I recreated the share name user_name as the original one: /public/user_name

Successfully created and applied.

Than deleted the public shared folder with its subfolders and contents. Successfully deleted.

But the one I need to delete is still not possible to be deleted. Delete button is gray out.

I must admit that at this point, I am getting confused.. I did many trys and tests...

Anyway to be able to wipe out all shared folders and starts from beginning?

It is a new installation

• do I have to reformat the drive?

It is an option as I am at the beginning. But I would love to know if there is a way to fix the issue in case this situation would reproduce again later in time when the NAS is fully oprational.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

do I have to reformat the drive?

It is an option as I am at the beginning. But I would love to know if there is a way to fix the issue in case this situation would reproduce again later in time when the NAS is fully oprational.

Thanks

I'm sure there is a way, just not sure what it is....

As for avoiding the problem in the future... use the webUI to manage folders and not the command line or SMB unless you are 100% sure what you are doing.. would be the lesson I would think

• I'm sure there is a way, just not sure what it is....

As for avoiding the problem in the future... use the webUI to manage folders and not the command line or SMB unless you are 100% sure what you are doing.. would be the lesson I would think

I kind of have an idea how to manage folders in linux. But surely not so much when it involved OMV.
    I also think there must be a possibility to solve that issue.

Beside all the test I made to solve the issue that lead me to confusion, originally I simply moved a subfolder to a an other folder (therefore a subfolder of an other folder). And when trying to delete and restart my folders structure, I was not able to.
    That does not relate (at first) to my CLI clean up!

I will try to open a new post with a more simple request that involved only what to do when moving foldered using GUI and trying to delete them afterwords.

First I will reproduce the issue to make sure I have a good case to post.

After testing, I will format and restart.

Thanks anyway for trying to help.

Regards,

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!