Monster 1U Server

• Offizieller Beitrag

Paypal is very solid because both Paypal and the credit card attached to your Paypal account stand behind the transactions.

I agree. I use paypal for as much as possible.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• As an example, every single eBay sale is via Paypal. There is no other way to pay there.

In the UK you don't have to use paypal for ebay so i can finally use ebay!

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• OK, I went thru the motions but didn't actually complete the purchase. I added one server to my shopping cart and checked out with Paypal. It wouldn't let me specify my Paypal ID but instead let me checkout as a Paypal guest and specify a credit card. That may or may not make one feel comfortable, but your credit card company will refund your money if the sale is bogus.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, I ordered the 16MB model.

I have my Paypal account backstopped with it's own checking account that I transfer money into to cover small purchases. (That way damage is limited.) But, in this case, I used the Paypal guest checkout with a credit card I use only for internet purchases. (Again, limited for protection from fraud and other BS.)

I really need to update an old Atom box and having a this mounted on a closet wall will actually use less floor / shelf space that the little Atom 4 mini-cube. (My hat is tipped to gderf for the wall mount idea.) That doesn't mention the almost unbelievable number of 3.5 drives the Chenbro can hold without an external chassis.

Here's to hoping it arrives functional and without damage. If doesn't, I won't be butt hurt over it. $137 is not that much out of the till.

• Please let us know when it arrives and if you have any questions about it feel free to ask.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• OBTW you will need some additional small parts to mount the drives: screws and grommets.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282646373726

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FTK1BJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These days 3.5 inch drives come in two mounting configurations.

The older style has four screws on the bottom spaced 1.75in apart front to back. The Chenbro is set up to accept these screw spacings.

The newer style spacing is 3.00in front to back which is too wide for the Chenbro. The result is that newer drives will mount with only two fasteners. This makes the drives less solidly mounted but they are still locked in place but able to move a little.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the links. I noted this mounting practice from a youtube video, but wasn't exactly sure what to order.

What's ventilation like for the drives? Have you looked at drive temp readings?

• In a case like this the ventilation could be better, but the drive temps seem OK to me.

Max: 117 F

Min: 106F

The ambient temp where the server is located is 91 F.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I'm a bit worried. I got a PayPal receipt, but nothing from "The Online Shop". I tried calling their toll free number and found that it's disconnected. Adding to that, their in-stock quantity is still "81" which is unlikely. (A sign of a static web page.) So I sent an e-mail inquiry regarding the shipping date. We'll see if I hear back.

I don't expect much from low dollar outfits (they couldn't be making but about $70 or 80 on this with free shipping) but if I don't hear anything by the 16th, I should probably contact the credit card company.

• A sign of a static web page.

Right, their homepage says Happy Easter, so it's WordPress/"No-Code" at best. However, I'd wait at least 2 weeks to hear or receive anything from a site like that. I've ordered from worse for better prices with success.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Adding to that, their in-stock quantity is still "81" which is unlikely.

I've setup a couple of these online stores and the cheap ones don't control inventory. It is all manual.

I'm a bit worried. I got a PayPal receipt, but nothing from "The Online Shop"

I've seen plenty of paypal purchases go to an individual's name or a company with a different name than the site. The inventory in the store looks too real to be a scam but citifunny.com is on this block list. So, hopefully you get it.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've ordered from worse for better prices with success.

That's good to hear. Yeah, my "customer service" expectations, with something like this, are not high. The operation is probably 1 owner, a warehouse, and maybe 1 or 2 more people running the entire thing. The profit margin, overall, couldn't be very high.

While $137 would not hurt me in any case, I'd really like to get my hands on the server.
    The 16th of this month would be 2 weeks from the order date. I should probably wait at least 3 weeks.

I've seen plenty of paypal purchases go to an individual's name or a company with a different name than the site.

What I meant was, there was no acknowledgment of a purchase, from anyone, other than the paypal receipt. Still,, it's a low buck operation. As you say, everything is probably manual.

So, hopefully you get it.

That's the thing for me. That server would nicely fit with a few things I'd like to do. I'd much rather have the server than the $137.

Here's another listing on that site for a -> Chenbro with a slower CPU and 16GB. (If you can get it.)

• That's good to hear.

Oh yeh, I've ordered from some seriously shady sites with success. Just very recently, http://fixitshop.com/ ... no https, "free email", "Download Adobe Acrobat 5 FREE READER" You'd think the site is a scam or a zombie, but it's not (and has some scarce parts).

• Oh yeh, I've ordered from some seriously shady sites with success. Just very recently, http://fixitshop.com/ ... no https, "free email", "Download Adobe Acrobat 5 FREE READER" You'd think the site is a scam or a zombie, but it's not (and has some scarce parts).

Blast from the past that site is. should a good find.

Dell 3050 Micro, i5-6500T, 8GB Ram

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 512gb SSD Boot, 1tb nvme Data, 16TB (8tbx 2 merg) Media,

Docker - dozzle, netdata, nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, the citifunny.com site appears to be a scam of some kind. (I'm glad I had PayPal in front of my credit card.)

- As noted earlier, their toll free contact number was disconnected.
    - Later, I tried their support e-mail and that came back with a general delivery failure.

After a few more days with no receipt from the seller, no acknowledgement of the transaction of any kind (except PayPal), and with no apparent way to contact the seller, I opened up a case with PayPal. (BTW: I think the scammers may be using PayPal "guest checkout" because, if you are already a PayPal user, guest checkout really complicates reporting a case to PayPal.)

So, after about 8 days (of the maximum of 10 days that PayPal allows merchants to answer an inquiry), VIOLETA B. SALUD & ASSOCIATES, INC. replied with a tracking number and a detailed package itinerary, that claimed the package started from North Carolina and was delivered to the "front desk" at the Post Office in my zip-code (get this) before the transaction took place.

- The transaction date was 2 Aug
    - The package delivery date was "31 July"

- Finally, my zip-code has no "front desk" in that there's no Post Office in this zip-code. Our mail is delivered from another town (and zip-code).

After examining this, PayPal has issued a refund.

What a freaking shame. I'd rather have the server than the money. That Chenbro model, for $137 delivered, would have been a good deal. (I suppose, too good to be true.)

• Oh well, sorry that didn't work out. I will edit my post and remove the links I posted.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh well, sorry that didn't work out.

Yeah, me too. I was really looking forward to getting that server. If you get another line on a Chenbro. Let me know.

I will edit my post and remove the links I posted.

That's a good idea. Someone else might try to order one from citifunny.com

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!