Help im lost

• Just to be clear, so that other readers will understand;

The SanDisk SD-card worked, where the other generic cards were going read-only, correct?

Correct :) Sandisk ultra 16GB is a definate buy

No I couldn't understand why you kept referencing Yacht, but were posting pics of Portainer (I don't think Portainer is required to use Yacht... and vice versa I'm sure of).

I usually use stacks in Portainer and have very limited experience with Yacht, but something isn't right. Yacht is still under pretty heavy development as I recall, so it could be a problem they are aware of and haven't fixed yet... as I said I don't follow it. I would try to fix the problem rather than just "taking a stab in the dark" and waiting on it to break again.

What all are you trying to install? I assume Lidarr, Sonarr, etc.?

Agreed im not the best at explaining, I mainly use yacht for because its easy once the templates are setup. I use portainer as a more in depth view of things even tho half of it I know zip about. Yes im trying to setup a torrent and file share server. I will probably do some other things with it.

The above quote is from post #10 or so. Based on the setup links in it I think the op is on a totally different wavelength from those of us who are trying to help him.

definately-a-n00b my advice to you is to perform a fresh install using this tutorial. Don’t mix in how-tos from Odroid/Hardkernel or any video tutorials. Stick to this one guide, first to last.

Of course im on a different wavelength. You are all pros and im a n00b. You ask for configs and logs and I dont know where they are or how to get them half the time. Your help is appreciated though.

I think ive tried every guide around multiple times with limited success. When that happens yes I cherry pick out what works and try and mash it together out of desperation. I bet others do aswell.

Weekends are busy for me but i will try what ive got working and go from there. I think I will change the /srv bind to read only and see how that pans out aswell. Got a few things to try.

It would be great if someone could make a script and gui on OMV for fan controls.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here's my suggestion...

Yacht... I don't want to call it experimental... and while I love the concept of it, I don't think it is a good option for people who have no idea what they are doing (not yet anyway).

My suggestion

If you're using some of the more popular containers (ie, radarr, lidarr, etc..) from linuxserver.. all of them have a docker-compose file on their set up page. Copy that docker-compose file to a text file on your desktop, and make adjustments as needed (paths, PUID's, PGID's, etc.... they typically all set up very similarly)... Then copy that docker-compose file into a Stack in Portainer and deploy it. Then if that doesn't work, come back here and put your docker-compose in a code-box in your post, and see if someone can offer help. See here for an example conversation I just had on this.

Then we can go from there and try to help you out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

definately-a-n00b

One last thing before I duck out of this thread. You need to get that fan moving. If it's running all the time, fine. While the HC4 has vent openings, I believe the case will be too hot for the CPU if you run it hard without the fan.

• Im sure there is a suggestions area around here. From a clueless point of view it would be extremely helpful if all these important log files and configs were somehow automatically copied and synced into a centralised folder area. Then when someone needs help it would be super easy to pull these files up. The helpers would just need to say "go to configs and log sync folder and put up XYZ.log or ABC.cfg" rather than running commands and digging around in folders and apps.

definately-a-n00b

One last thing before I duck out of this thread. You need to get that fan moving. If it's running all the time, fine. While the HC4 has vent openings, I believe the case will be too hot for the CPU if you run it hard without the fan.

The fan is on my to do list. Its another thing i have to setup.

Thanks to all for your time and effort

• Offizieller Beitrag

Im sure there is a suggestions area around here. From a clueless point of view it would be extremely helpful if all these important log files and configs were somehow automatically copied and synced into a centralised folder area. Then when someone needs help it would be super easy to pull these files up. The helpers would just need to say "go to configs and log sync folder and put up XYZ.log or ABC.cfg" rather than running commands and digging around in folders and apps.

The fan is on my to do list. Its another thing i have to setup.

Thanks to all for your time and effort

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. Most of the logs you need, are either available via the OMV webUI, or if you need container logs, they are easily retrieved either from Portainer or via the command line:

Code
    docker logs -f container_name    ###(Note:  When you're done reading the log, Cntrl +X to drop back to a prompt)

If someone needs you to post a log other than those, I'm guessing they'd give you the command to post them.

Unfortunately OMV doesn't build the containers, nor does it modify the Debian OS, so it has no control where either stores their logs and configs.

Or did you mean something else?

• I will try and explain. This will be fun

These server setups have multiple parts or layers if you like.

The OS (armbian, debian) has config and log files

OMV has config and log files

Docker has config and log files

Containers whith in has config and log files

The list goes on depending on the setup..............

Rather than running commands and looking for files

Would'nt it be easier and more efficient to have a scipt that periodically collects a copy of each config and log file and put the copy in a set folder. A log and config sentinel or settings snapshot.

Do you understand?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, a lot of logs are stored in /var/log.. . Definitely not all, but most of the 'system' logs are there..

I mean in theory if you know the log directories you're looking for... You could symlink them all to one place... But I'm still not seeing why you see this as an advantage

• Offizieller Beitrag

Rather than running commands and looking for files

Would'nt it be easier and more efficient to have a scipt that periodically collects a copy of each config and log file and put the copy in a set folder. A log and config sentinel or settings snapshot.

Do you understand that:
    If the user has the technical expertise to interpret logs, that same person knows where they are or how to find them. This is why your idea is not a high priority on the development list.

Second:
    Logs are available to you, in the GUI under the location;
    Diagnostic, System Logs.

Logs that are not in the GUI are more specialize and, potentially, application specific. With so many add-on's and Dockers, there's no way a Dev can forecast the name and where a log file might be stored. (They're not always stored in /var/log .)

Since you're a NOOB, by you're own admission, perhaps WinSCP might be of help to you in navigating the filesystem and finding things on the server. Read about it -> here.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!