Replacing DNS/DHCP plug-in

• I've been using the DNS/DHCP plugin for a long time now on earlier versions of OMV. I understand that it's not being ported to OMV5 and that Pi-Hole in a Docker would be a suitable replacement, and I'm finally getting around to looking at that, but I've hit what looks like quite a stumbling block for me.

I currently make heavy use of the plug-in's flexibility of adding aliases to a "static entry", combined with Nginx named servers in Nginx server blocks. That allows me to have web siteA, siteB, siteC etc. hosted on my OMV machine, all listening on default port 80, so I can access them all by name without mucking about with separate port numbers in the URLs. Pi-Hole says "MAC address is mandatory and only one entry per MAC address is allowed", which seems to rule out multiple names per IP address, and yet both the OMV plug-in and Pi-Hole seem to be front-ends to DNSMasq.

I know this isn't the place to ask for Pi-Hole support but, before I go asking elsewhere, can anyone tell me whether support for aliases like this is a clever feature added by the OMV plug-in rather than being an inherent feature of DNSMasq?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know this isn't the place to ask for Pi-Hole support but, before I go asking elsewhere, can anyone tell me whether support for aliases like this is a clever feature added by the OMV plug-in rather than being an inherent feature of DNSMasq?

There are at least two options (I use them). Either use the local dns section -> dns records of pihole (doesn't require mac) or add file to /etc/dnsmasq.d/.

omv 7.4.6-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.3 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I looked at that section but didn't think it would help because it takes domain names, not host names. Is the trick to use subdomains instead of hostnames (foo.mynet.lan, bar.mynet.lan, ...) instead of the hostname approach the plugin provides?

I'd prefer using Pi-Hole to using a file in dnsmasq.d because I'd rather have a UI. I could create one I suppose but that's a wheel I'd rather not reinvent. Thanks for suggesting the option though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I looked at that section but didn't think it would help because it takes domain names, not host names. Is the trick to use subdomains instead of hostnames (foo.mynet.lan, bar.mynet.lan, ...) instead of the hostname approach the plugin provides?

dns is dns. A subdomain and hostname if using the same IP address are the same thing. I am using it for many hostnames right now. That is why I suggested it.

omv 7.4.6-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.3 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ah, right, thanks. I have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to network stuff - just as I think I'm getting my head around it I hit something that reminds me how little I fully understand. I had a bit of trouble with hostnames having to be fully-qualified until I realised that expansion requires the "search domain" to be set on the client and that it has to be set manually if it's not sent by DHCP. I've been spoiled by your plug-in that Just Worked! Now up & running with PiHole though, thanks for the guiding hand.

• macom

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • macom

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!