Snapraid with mergerfs -> mergerfs tools

• Hello,

I curretnly fill up my NAS with files. Large portions of files. And just now i transfered a 2,7TB poertion.

If i now transfer another poertion of data, mergerfs will put them on the least full disk right? So it doesn't ustalize one disk to 100% right?

If so then after i transfered my files, how i can balance them? I thought of using mergerfs tools (balance) to balance them. Because i want the data to be evenly balanced through all the drives and not disk number 1 at 100% and disk number 2 and 3 only 50%.

Because just now only one disk is 70% full and the others are close to empty.

• This is configured or modified in the mergerfs options. Edit in the GUI and in the window choose the appropriate policy you need. There are some.

Some policies fill one disk and then another, other policies fill all at the same time ...

Here you have a detailed explanation. https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs

• This is configured or modified in the mergerfs options. Edit in the GUI and in the window choose the appropriate policy you need. There are some.

Some policies fill one disk and then another, other policies fill all at the same time ...

Here you have a detailed explanation. https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs

Thanks, i found the setting i need. I chose one to fill up the disk with the least data on it but with ignoring the path.

I hope it works now :)

• Is there any possibility to afterwards move paths inside a mergerfs pool?

My situation:

I moved a large amount of files and during the process my local network stopped working and everything crashed. This was about halfway through the transfer process. Then i had to start a new transfer and because another drive had more space left then the one with my path on, it moved the other half of the files to another drive.

But i like to move this stack of files together and not split to two disks. The next stack of files i can split up, no problems there but this one i would like to have together on one disk.

Is there any possibility to do that, maybe with mergerfs-tools or whatever?

• Is there any possibility to do that, maybe with mergerfs-tools or whatever?

You should be able to do it manually. This will not affect mergerfs.

If you also use snapraid remember to sync immediately after having the data on your site. With that amount of data it will take a long time for the first synchronization.

• You should be able to do it manually. This will not affect mergerfs.

If you also use snapraid remember to sync immediately after having the data on your site. With that amount of data it will take a long time for the first synchronization.

Okey that sounds good. But how do i do this? I only can see one drive because the pool are 3 disks together. How i should do it manually?

I only thought about through the command line...

Thanks for the reminder, i move my files in stacks and after each one i do a sync process.

One 2,7TB Stack 10h of transfer, then sync 10h

Takes a lot of time but i don't care if it works at the end :)

• chente

Added the Label resolved
  • You can use Midnight Commander. If you do not like MC you could use WinSCP, it is not designed for this but it can also be used.

https://openmediavault.readthe…tml#mc-midnight-commander

The mounting path for the hard drives is /srv

Okey i will have a look into that.

I also came up with one try. What do you think about this. Would it be possible to create a share folder of the individuall drives in the mergerfs pool and then move the files manually over total commander or regular explorer in windows? Or could this maybe damage or confuse the mergerfs pool?

• If you prefer to do it like this, it could be the following, suppose the mergerfs disk union called Data, inside it you have the photo folder. This folder has been distributed on disks 1 and 2, therefore there is a folder on disk 1 called photo and another on disk 2 called photo, and you want it to be complete on disk 1.

You can enter with winscp or putty to disk 1, change the name to the photo folder and call it photo1 on this disk. Do the same on disk 2 and rename it to phto2. In the GUI create a shared folder on disk 1 called photo1. Create another shared folder on disk 2 called photo2. Share the two with samba. Move the content from photo2 to photo1. In the GUI stop sharing the two folders with samba, delete the shared folder photo1 (only the folder, NO content), then delete the folder photo2 (folder and content). Enter again by SSH to rename the folder photo1 on disk 1 and call it photo. Ready.

Now you can enter the original shared photo folder and you will see all the content as before. If you enter the disks with WinSCP, you will only have a photo folder on disk 1 with all the content.

A little laborious but it will also work ^^, it is more graphic.

Note that if you move content later, mergerfs will write it according to the established policy. There is a policy that conditions the existence of a folder on the disk. It could be the one that interests you.

• If you prefer to do it like this, it could be the following, suppose the mergerfs disk union called Data, inside it you have the photo folder....

Thank you for the excellent explanation!!

I will try this :)

Note that if you move content later, mergerfs will write it according to the established policy. There is a policy that conditions the existence of a folder on the disk. It could be the one that interests you.

Yes i am interested in this. I already have played around with the function.

I now have the setting "the most free space disk with the path" and later after i moved eversthing what should be in one path i will switch to just "most free space" so the last stack of data can be succesfully split up over the disks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!