Dell Optiplex 3040 issues

• Hi All,

I'm new to the forum so HI :)

I've an old Optiplex 3040 with a couple of HDDs and I wanted to make a simple NAS / Plex server and I'm running into a really strange issue, I've tried installing OMV5 / 6 and both have the same issue, after the OS is installed the Machine will boot into diagnostics mode, no matter what I try I can seem to boot to the install, No idea what is causing this issue to happen and I've searched everywhere and apologies if this post is not in the right thread. Any help/advice on this would be great, I have a Hackintosh build working on this machine just before the OMV install and tested a fresh Ubuntu install and it works perfectly.

• You mentioned Hackintosh and Ubuntu. Do you mean that you ran those systems on the machine prior to your OMV install, or are they currently on a different boot drive? Are you multiple booting from the same machine? You may have some BIOS settings incorrectly set.

Also, what version of OMV do you have installed? 5 or 6?

Easy data backup: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, Wetty, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1): backups using Rsync and Rsnapshot - Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole - hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2, and VirtualBox: Testing and playing - Mac user converting to Linux, Debian 10 KDE.

• You mentioned Hackintosh and Ubuntu. Do you mean that you ran those systems on the machine prior to your OMV install, or are they currently on a different boot drive? Are you multiple booting from the same machine? You may have some BIOS settings incorrectly set.

Also, what version of OMV do you have installed? 5 or 6?

Hi Thanks for getting back, I've no OS currently installed, when I was getting this issue earlier today I installed Ubuntu to make sure all my hardware was working fine, I had MacOS installed before formatting all my drives and installing OMV, I'm not multi-booting I'm just trying to install OMV 5 onto a 128Gb Samsung SSD with another 4TB Drive, and both drives have been wiped clean. if you have any BIOS suggestions that would be awesome :) Thanks again for getting back so fast

• I was 100% Mac/hack user until about 2 1/2 years ago, so I don’t know a whole lot about BIOS, but I saw something that mentioned using the legacy setting instead of UEFI. If that doesn’t do the trick here is a link on a similar subject that might help: No boot device after initial install on HP T620

Easy data backup: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, Wetty, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1): backups using Rsync and Rsnapshot - Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole - hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2, and VirtualBox: Testing and playing - Mac user converting to Linux, Debian 10 KDE.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!