Quota for Mac Time Machine via SMB

• Hello folks,

I tried to integrate a quota to limit the space for my Time Machine Back Up via Mac.

For this I used the following description on Reddit and Threads out of the Forum that already described the solution:

HowTo make time machine backups on a samba fileserver without netatalk

Samba For Time Machine

My .com.apple.TimeMachine.quota.plist file has the following content:

Code
    root@Speicher:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Backupintern/Backupintern/TimeMachine/Christoph# cat .com.apple.TimeMachine.quota.plist 
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
      <key>GlobalQuota</key>
        <integer>300000000000</integer>
      </dict>
    </plist>

After creating the file I made a SMB restart:

Code
    systemctl restart smbd.service

and the file has the following rights: 644

But Time Machine on my Mac still shows me the whole 1.88TB. Of course I rebooted my Mac severals times and also connected the share again in the Time Machine settings. X/

Does anyone have an idea how to solve that?

Thanks...

• hello - just checking to see if you managed to solve this issue with TM quota's?

My understanding is that the com.apple.TimeMachine.quota.plist setting is picked up and used for each machine that is backed up and it is unlikely to show anything in the UI of your mac. I think you need to have the quota.plist file in place before you do the first backup as the config in the plist file is passed into the info.plist when the first backup is created.

I think you can have a look at the info.plist inside the sparsebundle file for each machine.

I am setting this up now so I will report back with my findings...

• Can confirm that what jatal said is correct. Create the plist file, delete the old backup and when time machines starts the backup it will recognize the correct quota. You will have a large and time consuming initial backup again though.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!