Missing Raid

• Offizieller Beitrag

What's going on? Does it repeat the command deleting all the data already written?

No. Without the delete switch, nothing is deleted in the destination, even if file have been deleted from the source.

Run the command again:
    Remember, if there's a error, this is normal if rsync is running in the background. (Two instances of the same command won't run at the same time.)
    A successful "completion" will be numbers (of files scanned) but no files transferred. That means a source / destination comparison was made and there's nothing left to transfer. At that point, it's done.

Corrupted data is another matter altogether. Corrupt files, obviously, will be duplicated in the destination.

You might use WinSCP and browse the contents of the source and compare it the destination. You can run two separate instances of WinSCP, side by side, for a quick comparison.

- When you're ready, swap the source and destination in the command line (observing the device name of the new array), to run the files back the other way.
    - Make sure a new array is healthy before doing the above.

- Set up -> notifications and -> SMART monitoring and testing. (Setting up the same functions in OMV6 is, "roughly", equivalent to OMV5.)
    - You might consider giving the -> Guide a quick read through. The above and other info is covered that would help to avoid bad situations.

• How big is the back up drive? if it's larger than the total array which it should be and you ran the rsync command correctly then it should have/would have backed up all the data

The backup drive is 3.64 TiB while the array is 2.24 TiB .

Yes, the backup was probably finished, but running the command again, it started from the beginning.

Right now I have the array with 2.23 TiB of data and the backup drive with 2.04 TiB.

• No. Without the delete switch, nothing is deleted in the destination, even if file have been deleted from the source.

However, I saw that when I sent this command rsync -av /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-debian-Raid/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-F48E91208E90DD04/

the second time to check that it had finished backing up, the free space on the backup hard drive increased and now it's slowly filling up again!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, the backup was probably finished, but running the command again, it started from the beginning

Follow what crashtest it telling you, I run rsync, twice a month, rsync creates an incremental file list from the source to the destination, that is compared before sync command is run if there are any changes then those files are copied. If there are no changes I still get an email notification that the command was run but no changes were made, however, if this is run from the command line I have no idea if this process happens.

Moreover we have no idea if any of your data is corrupt/damaged and therefore cannot be read by rsync

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can i disconnect the usb hard drive i use as a backup from the system on, or do i have to turn it off first?

Have you confirmed that the copy is done? If it's done, you can turn it off.

• I can't tell if rsync has actually finished copying.

A strange thing happens: I try to explain it by helping myself with 3 images I'm attaching.

- In the first picture you can see that the RAID is occupied for 2.23 TiB, while the backup disk is up to 2.24TiB! I can't understand how this is possible!

- In the second image I' showing the WinSCP calculation of the backup disk.

- The third image concerns the command just launched from the OMV GUI. Every time I launch it, it shows exactly those same folders and that same file and it stays there for hours, nothing changes! The same thing happens if I launch the command from Putty!

I've also tried running two sessions via WinSCP and doing a copy and paste but apart from giving me 60 days to do the operation, it doesn't seem to have copied anything!

I was wondering if it wouldn't be more profitable to backup via Lan, that is: connect the hard disk to my pc and copy and paste the files through the pc!

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• Offizieller Beitrag

In the first picture you can see that the RAID is occupied for 2.23 TiB, while the backup disk is up to 2.24TiB! I can't understand how this is possible!

This is easy to explain. You're running a different file system on the destination drive (NTFS) which, obviously, has a different disk format and file structure. The differences in file system metadata alone could explain the difference. (By the way, running a disk that was formatted by Windows, on your OMV server, is NOT a good idea. This can create permissions issues.)

Second, without the delete switch, anything copied to the destination remains even if it's deleted, or lost, from the source. This could result in the destination being larger than the source. I don't know what you're storing on the array but that would include deleted temp files.

I wouldn't worry about the difference. What bothers me is that you can't seem to get to "zero files coped".

The last screen capture indicates that files are still transferring. The same thing happens if I launch the command from Putty!

I've copied terabytes (many terabytes over the years) without a problem. I can't explain this.
    - It might be (wait for it) a permissions issue.
    - You might try deleting the "passion" MP4 :). The file might be corrupted in a way that rsync can't handle.

I was wondering if it wouldn't be more profitable to backup via Lan, that is: connect the hard disk to my pc and copy and paste the files through the pc!

Sure. All you need is at least read access to a network share, at the client. (Generally, if you can see the share and it's files, you will have read access.)

I've used this free sync software before. -> FreeFileSync. It seemed to work very well, it's reasonably fast over the LAN, and it gives a visual progress indicator. It has good error reporting as well. (But note that it won't be as fast as a local USB3 connection.) Also make sure that you get the direction right - one way transfer from the source (server) to the destination (windows client). There's an arrow (->) in this utility to indicate copy direction.

Whatever you do, Don't reboot the server. Let the server run until you're confident that all data has been copied.
    (Also, if you turn off the USB drive, expect a possible mount point error. The drive will be "missing". Don't reboot.)

• rsync is building up the list of files to be copied and compares src / target by time and size. This takes time if you have many files. Maybe it is the difference in the file systems which makes the file attributes different so rsync retransmits.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Sure. All you need is at least read access to a network share, at the client. (Generally, if you can see the share and it's files, you will have read access.)

Ok, to make the data copy via network I need the backup disk and therefore I have to disconnect it from OMV. Can I do this with the system running?

• No, there is a chance to destroy the drive.

So you will have to copy from the cli with the rsync command an be patient. Can you post the command, so we can check it and give hints how to run it even when disconnecting your laptop.

If you still have the rsync job running, you can check progress by tail -f /var/log/rsync.log. To stop the log output press ^C

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• No, there is a chance to destroy the drive.

So you will have to copy from the cli with the rsync command an be patient. Can you post the command, so we can check it and give hints how to run it even when disconnecting your laptop.

If you still have the rsync job running, you can check progress by tail -f /var/log/rsync.log. To stop the log output press ^C

After I've done this too:

- You might try deleting the "passion" MP4 :) . The file might be corrupted in a way that rsync can't handle.

I re-launched the command you can see below

and remains so indefinitely:

Code
    root@NAS:~# rsync -av /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-debian-Raid/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-F48E91208E90DD04/
    sending incremental file list
    ./

I also launched this one, but I can't see anything:

tail -f /var/log/rsync.log

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you try deleting the mp4 file? If that file is the reason rsync gets stuck, deleting one file or even the folder and it's contents is worth a try. (Maybe try copying them to a client, before deleting them.)

Ok, to make the data copy via network I need the backup disk and therefore I have to disconnect it from OMV. Can I do this with the system running?

I've done this before, several times in fact, with drives in drive docks (using OMV and a Raspberry PI). I've also pulled the plug, several times, with a 4TB WB USB drive ((My Passport model). Give the drive 20 seconds or so, after powering down, so it can spin down before physically moving it.
    (Otherwise, as Zoki has said, you're risking a head crash which will damage the drive. Turn the drive enclosure or dock off and wait at least 20 seconds, for the heads to park, before moving it.)

Note the following again:

Whatever you do, Don't reboot the server. Let the server run until you're confident that all data has been copied.
    (Also, if you turn off the USB drive, expect a possible mount point error. The drive will be "missing". Don't reboot.)

Note that OMV is not designed for "hot plugging" a drive. If you disconnect the USB from the server, there's no guarantee that OMV will recognized again without a reboot which you do not want to do.

• Did you try deleting the mp4 file? If that file is the reason rsync gets stuck, deleting one file or even the folder and it's contents is worth a try. (Maybe try copying them to a client, before deleting them.)

Yes I deleted the file. I launched rsync and now it stays like this

Code
    root@NAS:~# rsync -av /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-debian-Raid/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-F48E91208E90DD04/
    sending incremental file list
    ./
  • I used to plug and unplug drives in my testing system while powerd on and last time i killed it electronically. It did not respond to anything afterwords.

It as hanging on cables not in a tray.

Good if you have lot of old drives for this.

Gegaeding the message of rsync: if the drive is large ir can stay at this point for a long time.

Instead of removing the file it hangs on, try to copy ot first with cp.

• Probably you should check where the file get stored. and removed using du -xh d 1 /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-F48E91208E90DD04/ and recurse into the directories.

Do you have any services configured on that drive?

• Do you have any services configured on that drive?

In the USB drive? No, no services.

I ran the command and this is the result:

Code
    root@NAS:~# du -xh d 1 /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-F48E91208E90DD04/
    du: cannot access 'd': No such file or directory
    du: cannot access '1': No such file or directory
  • Should have been du -xhd 1 /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-F48E91208E90DD04/ without the space.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!