OMV 6 RC1 MergerFS and urBackup

• I'm running an OMV 6 RC1 fresh install with OMV-Extras. Docker and Portainer are up and running and MergerFS installed. urBackup runs fine in Docker when a single drive is used as storage but fails when a MergerFS is used as the DB and Storage FS. The docker stack deploys but urBackup GUI loads saying it is upgrading the DB from version 0 to version 0. I have two merged FS and tried it on both, re-merged the drives, tried with fStab and without.

Also I noticed that apparently the two merged systems do not populate the drive with the most free space since I have one drive that is empty and another with 4T and a 2x8T merged system. Running on an Intel NUC dual core with 4G memory, 100G partition on internal drive OS install.

I realize this are early releases and a work in progress, so just offering as information or in case I am missing something obvious.......thx

• Offizieller Beitrag

I realize this are early releases and a work in progress,

This won't change. You are running up against limitations of fuse and split drives with urbackup. The only real choice you have is to use one drive for urbackup.

Also I noticed that apparently the two merged systems do not populate the drive with the most free space since I have one drive that is empty and another with 4T and a 2x8T merged system.

What create policy did you use? There are three that are most free space. If you use existing path, most free space, I can see it filling one drive first.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I started out with Existing path and then switched to Most Free Space, I haven't tried shared path. I'm not really clear on the difference in the new implementation.

This won't change. You are running up against limitations of fuse and split drives with urbackup. The only real choice you have is to use one drive for urbackup.

I'm sorry to hear that. I used UnionFS and urBackup plugin on OMV 4 for years and decided to upgrade since OMV4 is EOL. It kinda defeats the need for MergedFS for me since backup is my primary use of the NAS. I couldn't use RAID on 4 since these are USB drives so I used UnionFS and Snapraid plugins. Thx

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not really clear on the difference in the new implementation.

The readme describes them very well - https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs

I'm sorry to hear that. I used UnionFS and urBackup plugin on OMV 4 for years and decided to upgrade since OMV4 is EOL. It kinda defeats the need for MergedFS for me since backup is my primary use of the NAS. I couldn't use RAID on 4 since these are USB drives so I used UnionFS and Snapraid plugins. Thx

If it worked on OMV 4.x, I would think it would work on 5.x or 6.x. They are still using the same union system. I just assumed mergerfs was the problem since we have seen it on other things. If your pool is mounted, the plugin is doing its job. I guess you could compare the mount options but I think they are the same. If all else fails, you could file an issue on the mergerfs github to see if trapexit has an idea.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The readme describes them very well - https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs

If it worked on OMV 4.x, I would think it would work on 5.x or 6.x. They are still using the same union system. I just assumed mergerfs was the problem since we have seen it on other things. If your pool is mounted, the plugin is doing its job. I guess you could compare the mount options but I think they are the same. If all else fails, you could file an issue on the mergerfs github to see if trapexit has an idea.

Plugins are all working fine and I can't remember exactly how I mapped the drive on 4 but I thought it was through the sharedfolders directory but I am second guessing myself now and I may have mapped it through /srv/device-by-uuiid in which case maybe I did map to a single drive and didn't realize it since I had more than one backup system writing to the merged filesystem.

In any case I going to quit trying to make it work and go to some combo of one drive systems. Thanks for your help and omv-extras support, they have been well used on my system.....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!