OMV5 Network Firewall Setup - An error has occured

• Hello,

I am in process of setting up a new OMV5 based NAS server and was configuring the Firewall settings (System -> Network -> Firewall) following this post [1] for all the services I have running on my NAS (its a long list). Just to test whether the configuration is actually working or not, I deleted once of the rules however after doing so, I got an "An error has occurred" message. The messages remained persistent after multiple reboots and further attempts to add new rules to the table.

In frustration I pressed the refresh button hoping it will fix the error but instead it deleted all the rules that I painstakingly configured in the last hour or so ! I checked the OMV documentation to see if it specifies the function of refresh button (there is none) however but my educated guess is that its suppose to read the iptables rule file and update it on the web UI. I've tried to search through old posts to see if this a known issue but couldn't find any thread that specifically talks about this problem.

So my question is, does the Firewall UI of OMV 5.6.25-1 (Usul) have this known issue or is it just on my NAS? If it is a know issue, will managing iptables from command line be a better option? If so, can someone point me to any form / blog that I can refer to?

Thanks,

PR

[1] Help setting up firewall (iptables)

• You do realize that post is from 2014 and it was made for OMV v1.0, correct?

I realise that but I only referred it to setup some of the rules.

What I wanted to know is whether Firewall web UI / Refresh button has any known bugs in it? If so, I will try to manage firewall setting from command line instead of spending another hour trying to setup all the rules through webUI (preferred) ?

• Sorry but since I don't use it, can't really help you on that one.

Only thing I can say is: you could stick with the fail2ban service which will prevent most of the attacks you might have.

Setting up a Firewall without knowledge (following what other's might say) is a safety error. (My personal opinion)

If you don't go opening ports on your Router, you won't be that exposed to attacks.

• Sorry but since I don't use it, can't really help you on that one.

This seems to be the common wisdom (to not use OMV firewall ) but even though I am not opening any ports on my router, I do live in a shared accommodation and need to protect my NAS and data from unauthorised access.

you could stick with the fail2ban service

Absolutely.

Setting up a Firewall without knowledge (following what other's might say) is a safety error. (My personal opinion)

Although I am no system admin I am taking time to understand how each port on every service functions and what's appropriate firewall rule for it. Since "risk" to my NAS is limited to people in my apartment, I think I can afford to make some mistakes here: ).

Anyhow, I am going through same process again to setup my firewalls. Hopefully it will remain stable this time.

Thanks for your response anyways.

Cheers.

• Let's talk about security:

If you can not keep people out of your local network, how are you configuring your firewalls?

You will have to open the services you use for some IP in you local network. If I am connected to the same network, I can reuse any of the addresses and connect to NAS. If you are using DHCP and not static IPs you can not even filter only your own IP.

If you really need to protect it that way, you should invest into some intelligent switch with authentication and into some knowledge.

Instead of fighting with the firewall, use proper passwords and permissions for the nas.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• It's very good that you try to have a firewall! Contrary to popular opinion on this forum...

What this particular problem stems from, I don't know much to guess about.

Start fresh clean...

Don't open up to every service on principle. Only what you need or ALL but only for a specific IP(and interface), but also be careful.

Having a correctly set fw does not work miracles, but it should be treated like washing your hands after using the toilet. Routine preventive exercise.

The rule I recommend is always block everything and allow only the narrowly chosen ones.

OMV fw gui is slightly constrained and only affects in / out.

Start by rigidly creating your environment... What IP and MAC addresses can be accessed by OMV? Let's assume that you treat the selected IP as safe and trusted.

Allow tcp / udp traffic for them and block everything else. If you have any services that need to be accessed, please specify.

Let's start with an abstractly simple example!

1. Set your OMV box to static IP and your PC!

2. Your OMV IP is 192.168.0.10
    3. 192.168.0.1 is your gateway.
    4. Your LAN is 192.168.0.0-192.168.0.255 (/24)

5. Your PC is 192.168.0.20

Then, based on this, you can start expanding the rules with appropriate machines and services and add flags. This is just an abstract minimalist starter example!

Of course, change the IP addresses according to your real ones !!!

• If you can not keep people out of your local network, how are you configuring your firewalls?

Our local network is shared by 4 individuals. My goal is to open only plex media port for them while keep everything else in complete lock down. Unfortunately our router is very basic with no fancy functions like VLAN so every device within the network has to be secured by firewalls.

If you really need to protect it that way, you should invest into some intelligent switch with authentication and into some knowledge.

It took me 3 years to purchase bits and pieces of hardware to be able to build a proper NAS and I'm sure by next year I'd be able to get a decent network switch/ router :). Till then I'll have to resort to "poor man's security features".

Instead of fighting with the firewall, use proper passwords and permissions for the nas

done and done.

• 5. Your PC is 192.168.0.20 and the MAC address of your network adapter is 00-10-FA-6E-38-4A.

WOW ! Although not relevant to my actual question, the rules snippet you've shared solves my immediate problem. If I can specify mac address of my devices for all protocols (except plex), I think that will give me a good start.

As for the issue I was having yesterday, after I re-entered my firewall rules via WebUI everything "seems to be" working okay for now. I have not deleted or edited any rules yet so can't say for sure if it was a fluke or not but I will be updating my firewall setting this evening so lets see how it goes.

Appreciate your detailed comment. Hopefully we can extend this thread to make a "OMV Firewall config guide" out of it for other noobs like myself.

Regs,

PR

• WOW ! Although not relevant to my actual question, the rules snippet you've shared solves my immediate problem. If I can specify mac address of my devices for all protocols (except plex), I think that will give me a good start.

Theoretically, you can set a rule for the MAC address. But it won't work as much as you'd like.

The rule blocks traffic for MAC address 00: 10: FA: 6E: 38: 4A In this case, the card with this MAC address will not be able to access listening service. The philosophy is simple... you replace the rules for IP to MAC.

The problem is a little lower on the L2 layer. A typical soho LAN lacks low-level control.

If there is a hostile person in your network, at the moment nothing prevents him from changing the IP and / or MAC address to the one allowed in fw on OMV.

For this purpose, you would need at least an L2 switch and the possibility of assigning a given MAC address to a physical port in the switch. Alternatively, enter authorization for eth...

You can play with -m mac --mac-source [MAC] and create rules for other macs you have in lan and block after mac and allow only for a specific type of traffic. For example, you can control by MAC address instead of IP, but the same problem will occur at the end of the day.

Let's say I'm in your LAN as a hostile person. I can easily change IP to yours and MAC to yours. And then I can pass through the firewall and your rules without any problems. Unfortunately, the problem is somewhat elsewhere than the fw itself.

Protection with rules per IP or per MAC is ok but in the case of soho LAN to some extent it is "Security through obscurity". As long as you don't have a hostile person in the LAN who wants to do bad to you, you'll be okay with these rules. But when someone makes a minimum effort, you won't do too much on fw. Then there is the second line of defense, i.e. authorization per service and passwords / keys.

• Our local network is shared by 4 individuals. My goal is to open only plex media port for them while keep everything else in complete lock down. Unfortunately our router is very basic with no fancy functions like VLAN so every device within the network has to be secured by firewalls.

Ask yourself these questions?

• Which IP addresses are you going to allow access to OMV services?
    • How do you make sure, the IP address belongs to the right device and is not forged?
    • Or how are you going to allow / block MAC addresses by iptables?

Given the rules by JohnStiles:

• Why would you allow access to DNS, NTP, Admin UI on the OMV

As soon as I have physical (unlimited) access to the network an IP firewall will not help, except for making you feel save.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Or how are you going to allow / block MAC addresses by iptables?

Given the rules by JohnStiles:

Why would you allow access to DNS, NTP, Admin UI on the OMV

-m mac --mac-source 00-10-FA-6E-38-4A Although it is obvious that it is such a prosthesis and it has a lot of limitations... It is also clear that you can forget about anything similar to a wildcard for MACs

Which rules are you talking about?

DNS? in input is not necessary immediately. But if the OP put even a pi-hole it will be needed.

NTP as above.

UI? If someone has OMV control, the first option is probably web ui, not ssh.

I have the impression that you are talking about OUTPUT and not INPUT.

The input chain controls the alien traffic that reaches the server.

The output chain controls the native traffic that comes from or appears on the server and is fed on.

If the OP wants full access from 192.168.0.20 to the server then his business. Alternatively, he can limit the scope for the input chain only to a narrow range of ports that it will need at any given time. Like TCP 80, 443, 22 and a few others depending on services like SMB and others...

So that the user has a better idea, I usually suggest full IP stack per trusted IP but this is a matter of taste when it comes to INPUT chain and LAN.

The output chain must be allowed to exit for udp 53 if it is to have dns, unless OP uses tunnels or DOH.

If there is no TCP 80/443 the main component that will suffer will be APT.

The server must be able to get out UDP 123 traffic if you are using OMV time synchronization.

UDP 53... server has to somehow resolve the domain names.

TCP 80 and 443 will be needed, for example, with APT.

However, TCP 8080 nad ICMP can be removed at the beginning because it does not have to be, if there is no specific need.

Of course, that's all in the case of applying global DROP rules per chain, which are supposed to block everything.

So I don't really understand your view on... the output chain has a final blocking rule, the same input chain, so these rules must exist. It is different if you have no rules then fw has all chains set to ACCEPT.

Another area of discussion is physical LAN / device protection as well as IP / MAC address spoofing. But I mentioned it already...

• Which rules are you talking about?

UI? If someone has OMV control, the first option is probably web ui, not ssh.

You are right, didn't check the first column.

Don't get me wrong, I am all pro security and have my eervers behind an OnSense gateway even in my home, but given the OPs situation (only to protect from people on the same physical lan without a managable switch) I would not care about a firewall, but try to protect the server on the application level and try not to expose services not needed.

What will happen next is that docker messes with the iptable rules and we will have a hard time supporting that config and find out, why something is not working.

• but given the OPs situation (only to protect from people on the same physical lan without a managable switch)

The situation is pretty bad. Teretically, you can do a little separation by putting the router with openwrt and isolating yourself a little from the LAN part, but... L2 :)

What will happen next is that docker messes with the iptable rules and we will have a hard time supporting that config and find out, why something is not working.

A new opportunity for OP to learn new things. :)

At the end of the day, the OP got hints about two different approaches to the topic... his decision about what to choose, I only expressed my opinion because if OP wants to touch FW and do it on the basis of that old thread, it's a bit bland. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!