What is the best way to upgrade from a 1Tb HDD to a 960GB SSD

• Ok, so just a quick update on what I did.

I first completely wiped the SSD and formatted it to EXT4, I then ran the commands "sudo fsck /dev/sdb" and "sudo dumpe2fs -h /dev/sdb" everything reported good.

I ran clone zilla went into expert mode and toggled the -icds switch and the -K1 to create a partition table proportionally. Everything seemed fine and it started the process of cloning which took about 2 hours at 5GB/per min.

Near towards 98% roughly the clone failed and I didn't know how to bring up the logs so I wasn't sure what caused it. The computer was just left to do the job and I had not interacted with it at all during the clone.

Can anyone tell me what they think might have gone wrong despite the drive being almost fully cloned? I just don't understand why at the very end it failed and not anywhere in the beginning.

The 2nd screenshot was taken after the failed clone and threw this error of there not being a superblock (Not sure what that is).

• /var/log/partclone.log has the error messages.

cat /var/log/partclone.log will show it, while in clonezilla

Test your disk, if it really has the volume it claims.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I'm I able to do that now despite unplugging the drive? I haven't done anything to it so it should have that log stored right?

That didn't work I was unable to retrieve the log file.

I would also like to ask, the steps I took to clone the drive was there anything I did or didn't that could have caused the clone to fail?

• I'm I able to do that now despite unplugging the drive? I haven't done anything to it so it should have that log stored right?

No, you have to do it while running clonezilla, as it runs from a RAM disk, so everything is lost after reboot. clonezilla will "just" take data from one disk and write it to another, nothing else.

But you could take the chance to test the disk and if it can be written to and has the volume it claiums. google for h2test.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I ran a disk test using DiskGenius and it found no bad sectors or anything wrong with the drive.

I just can't figure out what's going wrong, that was the 2nd time it failed at about 96%. I use the correct switches and I leave the program to do its job and yet it still fails... why is it so hard to do a simple clone? ?(

• You stated "Gpart tool to reduce the size as the real data used on the 1TB"... did you commit these changes? Is the new, resized source partition 500GB? You're screenshots say otherwise.

According to clonezilla (here), if the partition is smaller then you need the -r switch and maybe the -icds. At the bottom of that page, it states that the -k1 switch includes the -r switch and will "create the partition table proportionally", but I'm not sure how that behaves if the target already has a partition table.

If you're sure that the source is resized to 500GB, then this should all work.

FWIW, you could simply create a new partition and FS on the new target ssd drive and copy the data over with dd or rsync. Then, all you would be left with is copying the MBR or installing GRUB.

"...the 2nd time it failed at about 96%"

O.K., your screenshots show these sizes:

894.3 / 931.5 = 0.960064412 ( 96% ) ... there's gotta be a clue here :-/

NOTE: If you have a 500GB partition for sure and try clone zilla again, I wouldn't use the -k1 switch. I'm guessing somewhere clonezilla always checks the drive size and since you have a difference of .04, that could round down and you might be left with a divide by 0 error (possibly causing a segfault or what not). It might not matter (hopefully) but, I'm older and believe in such black magic.

OMV 5.9

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von olduser () aus folgendem Grund: divide by 0

• So I resized the source drive to about 870GB and cloned it the SSD, the only plugged in the SSD and got a missing drive error despite it having the same UUID as the source drive.

The steps I took were:

1) Resize source drive to about 870GB (I did this just to try a different size as last time I did a lower number)

2) Completely wiped and checked the drive with fsck, everything was all good.

3) Ran Clonezilla with just the -icds switch and did NOT use the -k1.

4) Checked the log using cat /var/log/partclone.log everything came out good no errors.

5) Plugged only the SSD in and still have the same problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!