Best Practice of SMB in OMV

• Supposed there are 4 accounts in my OMV:

1. Acount: admin; Password: 12345678. This acount is only for GUI login.

2. Acount: root; Password: 123456789. This acount is root in Shell.

3. Acount: myself; Password: 123456789X. This acount is my real acount in Shell.

4. Acount: itself; Password: 123456789Z. This acount is the real acount of my sister in Shell.

Now, I log in to OMV GUI with admin, and I create a new shared folder in Storage/Shared folders: testDir. I set it myself read only, and itself read/write.

I go to Services/SMB/Settings, it looks like:

20220320192853.png

I go to Services/SMB/Shares, add testDir as a shared folder. It looks like:

20220320192706.png
    Next, I found that both myself and itself can create a new file:

Code
    -rw-r--r-- 1 myself users 0 Mar 20 19:36 myself.txt
    -rw-r--r-- 1 itself users 0 Mar 20 19:37 itself.txt

In my design, myself account should not be able to create or write any file in testDir, which is the private of itself account. This is problem one.

Next, my sister want to use SMB service in Windows 10. She found that she could not login with Acount: itself; Password: 123456789Z. This is problem two.

All we want is: create a private dir testDir for my sister. Only she and root could read/write the dir. Others could read it only.

How could we do that?

• If you give both shell access, you will have to change the file permissions, that the group users can not read / execute de directory.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!