OMV 5 to OMV 6 upgrade question

• Hi. I am new to OMV and have been running OMV 5 for about 5 months and I'm happy with it.

Like all OMV5 users I will have to upgrade to OMV6 and I'm planning to use the omv-release-upgrade cmd but never did an upgrade before. So looking for advices/guidance here as I didn't find any detailed instructions for the upgrade.

I have a plain install running OMV 5.6.26-1 and the only plugins I installed are diskstats 5.1.1-2 and clamav 5.0.13-1. Finally I have 2 USB HDD data drives (one main and it's backup (via rsync scheduled jobs in OMV)).

There are only few things I would like to confirm before making the jump.

1. my understanding is that there is no built-in OMV tool to do a snapshot/clone of the OMV5 install. I have to use an external tool like clonezilla or dd.

2. my understanding is also that in case the upgrade goes bad, there is no way to export the OMV5 config/settings and import them in a fresh install of OMV6

- I did a copy of the /etc/openmediavault/config.xml file to use it as reference in case needed

3. finally, before running the omv-release-upgrade cmd, is there anything specific I must do/check (I saw the warning about the jmicron controllers)? E.g., shall I leave the two USB HDDs plugged in or rather shall I unplug them?

Thanks for the help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 - correct

2 - correct

3 - Leave them plugged in. Other than backup, update your system to the latest updates and then just run the omv-release-upgrade command.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

how can I remove the display managers that impair OMV5->6 upgrade?

"This system is running a desktop environment! This setup is not supported."

• Offizieller Beitrag

sudo apt-get purge gdm3 sddm lxdm xdm lightdm slim wdm

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• 1 - correct

2 - correct

3 - Leave them plugged in. Other than backup, update your system to the latest updates and then just run the omv-release-upgrade command.

Thanks. Did the update and everything went smoothly. Thanks for the help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!