OMV 6 Fresh Install R8168 not showing up

• Hi All,

I recently did a fresh install of my boot drive to omv 6. My NIC is a builtin realtek 8111 that worked perfectly fine on omv 5. But once I upgraded to OMV 6, it didn't work, wasn't picked up on install. So I plugged in my laptop dock with an ethernet cable and that worked to get OMV 6 installed and at least an internet connection to install updates. I was able to install the r8168 driver through

sudo apt-get install r8168-dkms

and it now picks up under lspci as:

Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

and lspci -v as:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

Subsystem: Dell RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11

I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]

Memory at e0a10000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]

Memory at e0a00000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]

Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3

Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+

Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 01

Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable- Count=4 Masked-

Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data

Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel

Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 03-00-00-00-68-4c-e0-00

Kernel modules: r8168

But in both the gui and omv-firstaid, it is not detected, only the laptop dock is detected. Is there something I need to do to activate it?

Update:

I found that the output of networkctl is:

IDX LINK TYPE OPERATIONAL SETUP

1 lo loopback carrier unmanaged

2 enp3s0 ether off unmanaged

3 enx0c379626fff9 ether routable configured

3 links listed.

But if I try to use ifup enp3s0, it just says unknown interface.

Update 2:

For some reason, it looks like linux will no longer recognize that nic device. I have tried a fresh install with debian 11, debian 11 non-free, omv 6, omv 5.6.13, omv 5.0.5, all the same errors it won't recognize my nic. I have tried the driver download from the realtek website for r8168 and running autorun.sh from a usb, I have tried to download from the above with an internet connection from my laptop dock - no luck. It used to work just fine before this on omv 5.6.13. Do I need to roll back the kernel version or something? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• Kklokreach

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • fresh install with debian 11

if a fresh install of just the OS (with correct drivers) won't recognize the network card, I'd assume a hardware defect.

Did you try to rule out a network equipment related defect via a different LAN cable connected to a different port on router?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• I figured out the problem, unfortunately I can't find the link to the original post that helped me, but TLDR: unplug the power, wait 10 secs and plug it back in (doh. I spent 3 days trying to fix this).

It looks like at some point I had to a hard shutdown (aka hold the power button) and apparently, if you power down in a non-expected way, the nic will do a windows only lock up (sorry I'm not sure the correct term, something to do with the msi) and expects a windows boot up to unlock it on the next start up. Unfortunately linux has no idea what to do with it in this situation hence why it is detected, but not activated. Apparently just a unplug wait 10 secs, and replug will reset everything and unlock the nic, allowing linux to fix it again. If anyone with more technical knowledge wants to elaborate feel free :)

• Kklokreach

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!