portainer
    root@meinnas:~# sudo docker rm portainer
    portainer
    root@meinnas:~# sudo docker ps -a | grep -i portainer
    root@meinnas:~#

It seems gone now

Reinstall still fails

• Sorry but this is really weird, :rolleyes:

Since you run as root, no need for sudo.

docker ps -a | grep -i portainer

• Sorry but this is really weird, :rolleyes:

Since you run as root, no need for sudo.

docker ps -a | grep -i portainer

I know..that is why i am here. Just randomly after updating portainer over the extras to the latest version it started to become unstable after one day and now it totally refuses to work.

I have no clue anymore what the error might be. Before it was totally fine, no issue.

Code
    root@meinnas:~# docker ps -a | grep -i portainer
    d681f9ca4876   portainer/portainer-ce                          "/portainer"             45 seconds ago   Created                     0.0.0.0:8000->8000/tcp, :::8000->8000/tcp, 0.0.0.0:9000->9000/tcp, :::9000->9000/tcp, 9443/tcp   portainer
    root@meinnas:~#

After the installation it fails and the container is just created

• After the installation it fails and the container is just created

Ok:

ls -al /var/lib/docker/volumes

And

docker inspect portainer

• Maybe it helps. My syslog shows something is down

• ls -al /var/lib/docker/volumes

• Your syslog should show only this when reinstalling it:

Code
    pi@xxxxxxxxxx:~ $ sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i portainer
    Dec 21 14:16:37 xxxx omv-mkworkbench: Processing manifest "/usr/share/openmediavault/workbench/navigation.d/system.omvextras.portainer.yaml" ...
    Dec 21 14:16:38 xxxx omv-mkworkbench: Processing manifest "/usr/share/openmediavault/workbench/component.d/omv-system-omvextras-portainer-form-page.yaml" ...
    Dec 21 14:16:38 xxxx omv-mkworkbench: Processing manifest "/usr/share/openmediavault/workbench/route.d/system.omvextras.portainer.yaml" ...
    Dec 21 14:16:38 xxxx omv-mkworkbench: Injecting component configuration for route "/system/omvextras/portainer" ...

Since the folder isn't being created, you see that error.

Is the docker folder living on a merged pool??? Or is it only on the root of the OS?
    ls -al /var/lib

Or, try to make the folder and see if it installs

mkdir /var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data #This will make the folder owned by root

ls -al /var/lib/docker/volumes To list the folders again to check if it need changes to owner:users

• s the docker folder living on a merged pool??? Or is it only on the root of the OS?

It is 100% on the boot drive aka SD-card as it always was

mkdir /var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data #This will make the folder owned by root

ok i created the folder now this way

ls -al /var/lib/docker/volumes To list the folders again to check if it need changes to owner:users

It is definitely root now.

It faild again but now i wanted to make sure extras can remove data, so i removed the data over extras again and confirmed that omv can delete the folder.

Now i reinstalled again and it worked, i can get to the web ui now. But i am still checking for errors

• It faild again but now i wanted to make sure extras can remove data, so i removed the data over extras again and confirmed that omv can delete the folder.

Now i reinstalled again and it worked, i can get to the web ui now.

Great.

Can you now access Portainer as if it was new?

You'll need to create a user and password again.

If you want to test it, just click "install" on OMV GUI.

It should come up clean.

When there's an update to Portainer, all it takes is to click "Install" and it will update over the previous version.

• I can confirm it works now. After successful installation, it took me to the web ui as if it was a total fresh install. I tested to upload my backup and it worked.

My docker containers work now, finally...thank god

I previously did it exactly as you said. I just updated portainer over the "install" button on extras. I did update it always that way but seems like at the last update something went wrong.

Luckily you were there to fix it 🙈

I already could see my server to be rebuild from scratch...

Okey lessons learned. If someday in the future a update kills portainer then i uninstall it over extras, remove the data over extras and create the portainer_data folder manually with root permission.

Thanks again🙏🏻

• Offizieller Beitrag

that is the only disadvantage of the plugin. You can't set a data directory.

data directory for what?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

data directory for what?

Portainer. The plugin maps the data directory inside the container folder, which is fine.

Using the compose file I can map it elsewhere. I just like it that way because in the event somehow my containers folder got nuked, all of my stacks etc would be saved in the portainer data folder. I just have to redeploy them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plugin maps the data directory inside the container folder, which is fine.

When you said plugin, I thought you meant the compose plugin. I see you mean omv-extras now. omv-extras is creating a volume. You can change where that is stored by changing the path where docker puts things.

Using the compose file I can map it elsewhere. I just like it that way because in the event somehow my containers folder got nuked, all of my stacks etc would be saved in the portrait or data folder. I just have to redeploy them.

That is what the compose plugin does but you have your compose files in two places - the omv database and the sharedfolder where the plugin writes the yaml files. I honestly see no reason to use portainer if you are using the compose plugin.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Omv-extras is creating a volume. You can change where that is stored by changing the path where docker puts things.

I think what KM0201 would want is a better control on OMV-Extras to where you bind the portainer data folder, not the whole docker root.

For eg, some option:

<path-for-portainer-volume>:/portainer_data on the GUI portainer arguments.

I just like it that way because in the event somehow my containers folder got nuked, all of my stacks etc would be saved in the portainer data folder

IIRC, you're mixing things.

Containers info is saved on the docker root, NOT under the portainer_data folder.

You can see this on the issue that Copaxy was having:
    Even deleting and removing portainer, after installing and running it again as a fresh install, all containers info are still there.

Maybe if you launch/create big stacks on portainer itself, something might be attached to it but I honestly, don't think so.
    Nothing too difficult to test, for sure.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you said plugin, I thought you meant the compose plugin. I see you mean omv-extras now. omv-extras is creating a volume. You can change where that is stored by changing the path where docker puts things.

That is what the compose plugin does but you have your compose files in two places - the omv database and the sharedfolder where the plugin writes the yaml files. I honestly see no reason to use portainer if you are using the compose plugin.

Yeah I probably should have been more clear.

I didn't even think about the compose plug in that's a pretty good idea. It would essentially do the same thing as the data folder I'm using

• Offizieller Beitrag

No I don't want omv-extras changes at all. I've said many times if Aaron tries to please every single user he'll loses ever loving mind, if he hasn't already. It's impossible for him to make something that makes everybody happy.

As for the docker root you're absolutely correct. However in the event that root gets lost for some reason (drive failure, whatever,). By reinstalling portainer and pointing get back at a data folder from a previous instance of portainer.. it will have all my stacks settings etc and all I need to do is just redeploy the stacks.

Like I said I didn't even think about the compose plug-in he made which will be a very simple substitute for what I'm talking about.

• No I don't want omv-extras changes at all. I've said many times if Aaron tries to please every single user he'll loses ever loving mind, if he hasn't already). It's impossible for him to make something that it makes everybody happy.

Sorry, bad choice of words. A better meaning would have been:

What you do is running portainer via docker-compose due to the fact that there is no control on where to bind volume for portainer on OMV-Extras....

By reinstalling portainer and pointing get back at a data folder from a previous instance of portainer.. it will have all my stacks settings etc and all I need to do is just redeploy the stacks.

Are the settings saved there? I thought they were still under docker and portainer is only reading the docker.socket.

But in this case, you have to use a backed up portainer_data and docker root.

Does it work one without the other?

Since I don't have my stacks launched from portainer, I can't check this.

Will have to fire a VM to play around with this.

This is just to learn a bit more, no practical use for me (and I believe you also) since all stacks are launched via CLI until now.

After starting using omv-compose plugin, even CLI is being dropped, :D

Like I said I didn't even think about the compose plug-in he made which will be a very simple substitute for what I'm talking about.

Try it, the plugin is covering everything from docker-compose CLI and better.

Portainer for me, was just to say I have a GUI but not needed anymore:

• Offizieller Beitrag

All settings for Portainer are saved there. Even username/password.

I've messed with the plugin a little bit.

• Interesting, so if i understand it correctly, if i use the omv compose plugin it saves the data in the docker root folder? Or am i able to save the config data somewhere else like when i use compose in portainer and i set the config and container files to be in whatever directory i choose.

For example i create a docker compose for jellyfin and i put the path for the config at my prefered place but the rest of the container files are in the docker root folder.

What is the difference when i use the compose plugin?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!