OMVBackup - Restore Full Backup to NEW Boot Drive?

• Did a lot of reading and followed the excellent post thread / guide here:

How to restore OMV 4.X from backup-plugin to system SSD - General - openmediavault

All went well and the fsarchive successfully restored my OMV4 image from 64 GB SSD to a newly installed 256 GB USB Key.

Even did the extra dd step for the grubparts file to make sure the SSD grubparts was placed onto the new USB key.

I just get the dreaded flashing cursor on reboot, after removing the SSD, and selecting the new USB key as the OMV4 boot drive.

There has to be an extra step I am missing as far as this situation, where I want to fully remove the old boot hardware device and replace with a new.

@ryecoaaron  bvrulez any thoughts?

• Did a little more research and found this newer thread.

[How-To] Restore OMV system backup made with openmediavault-backup plugin - Guides - openmediavault

Doesn't look like I'm using UEFI which would have been an easy fix, but I also get the feeling that grub isn't being installed after I restore.

After running the DD to restore the partitions to my new drive, I still only see one partition sdX1 though it looks like my current boot SSD also has just one so maybe that's right, and I just need to find a way to force a grub install onto the new USB stick in order for the system to boot after restoring to the USB stick. I'll share any findings here unless anyone has been through this before and knows the fix. It certainly does look like grub may not be there hence my boot issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You really need to upgrade to a support OMV release.

Boot the Debian netinst iso and run the grub repair.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Way ahead of you. Building a new OMV6 box as we speak. Just needed to steal its hardware and keep OMV4 running a little longer.

OMV6 is so awesome. I'm setting up my first MergeFS and SnapRAID on the new box tonight and starting to move the OMV4 server's media over.

Thanks for all you do.

BTW, I did need to run the grub-install step to get that USB key to work. Worked great after that and allowed me to steal the SSD out for OMV6 box!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!