Do I need filezilla installed on my SERVER to use FTP/SFTP?

• I want to be able to receive files sent to my server remotely. I might even want to be able to remotely retrieve files stored in a specific shared folder on my server.

So I want to be able to use FTP (this post and this post suggest I should use sftp, so I'll try that). But I'm a little confused about what needs to be installed on my server to do that.

TechnoDadLife has a video posted showing how to set up Filezilla on Open Media Vault. It involves docker, this page, and possibly this page.

I almost had it working, but wondered if I actually needed this server-side installation of Filezilla to transfer files with SFTP.

To make things simple, lets pretend Filezilla is the only program that has a GUI for using SFTP. I intend on using Filezilla on my laptop when I send files to my server remotely.

But I'm assuming somebody doesn't have to be on my network, running Filezilla from open media vault for the server to receive those files from my laptop.

And I never intend to use Filezilla's user interface on my server to exchange files with another FTP server.

And I see open media vault has this FTP menu

and this SFTP plugin.

I'm assuming (but uncertain) that my laptop can send files to my server with Filezilla(client) and my server just needs to have a shared folder and SFTP configured on it.

So do I really need to have Filezilla installed on open media vault to do what I've described?

• crashtest

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • The SFTP server function is already present within OMV via the SSH server. There is no need to install Filezilla on OMV.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The SFTP server function is already present within OMV via the SSH server. There is no need to install Filezilla on OMV.

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure. =)

So I don't even need that SFTP plugin? I wanted to use those.. jails to make things secure.

• The SFTP plugin creates user jails, so use it if you need them. You can also create jails by hand.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!