Problem with SMB - Mounting SMB on Windows & Mac

• chmod 2775 /srv/mergerfs/Media/

Mate this has given me SMB access to the folders on Mac & PC - How one command can put such a smile on someones face - Thanks so much Im so happy

Ive tried checking Plex to see the SMB from the Mac or PC but does that need mapping to a drive or if I remember right it should just see it? Im probably wrong

• I'm not sure that 2775 setting is 100% OK. It's difficult to say unless and until you tried to create a new shared folder on OMV under Daniel and then created a SMB/CIFS share for it.

It's possible you still have a lot of cruft in your system in terms of individual directory and file permissions with the additional ACLs. Experienced users of this would say to avoid using ACLs; where possible because of added complications.

Talking a full audit of your data via the forum is tricky to do, in any case you've probably had enough for now.

• I'm not sure that 2775 setting is 100% OK. It's difficult to say unless and until you tried to create a new shared folder on OMV under Daniel and then created a SMB/CIFS share for it.

It's possible you still have a lot of cruft in your system in terms of individual directory and file permissions with the additional ACLs. Experienced users of this would say to avoid using ACLs; where possible because of added complications.

Talking a full audit of your data via the forum is tricky to do, in any case you've probably had enough for now.

Im happy to do a clean up but just glad I can play with the files and get Plex to view delete from the Mac & PC - Just glad I had the GDrive Bkup of all my data.

• If its to much on here to go through my data Im happy to use Discord or something else similar to go through it with you when you are free. Only if that works for you? If it does DM me and we can arrange something

• I cant give enough praise to the forum - its been amazing with my problems so far - Special thanks to Soma & Krisbee - AMAZING effort & I hope if anyone gets a similar problem they come to the end of this thread and wake in the command and get going again LOL

Just one thing maybe the forum setup a Discord channel which might help quicker - Just an idea

• Best news of the day, thanks for the input you gave Krisbee

I'll have to read it with a clear head to figure out where and what I was missing.

I'm sure I'll have to poke you after with a few questions, if you're willing to answer, 😎

DNUKaen

Sorry for the absence, I'm doing handovers to close the windfarm for xmas and it's been chaotic.

I'm really happy to read your post saying you have "FINALLY-ALELUIA" access to smb.

I'll see if I manage to go on Discord later to have a quick chat, 😉

• Also - Do I set this to "RESOLVED" now? Or does someone else do that?

Since this concerns the shares, you can set the tag, 😉

• just need to get Docker and the containers pointing to the right folders

This will be the easy part, 😎

• DNUKaen

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Krisbee

If your willing to go through what you mentioned in the above post regarding the cruft I’m willing to do this as I have noticed the server being slow when accessing the files but at least it’s accessing.

Also wondering if it is correctly adding the the files with correct permissions

Thanks in advance

• Checking the permissions of files added to OMV is simply a case of connecting via ssh and using basic commands like "cd" to change directories and "ls -l" to list files and directories as you navigate around. The "getfacl" command or any given dir/file will give the additional ACL information.

So pick a directory you added files to. Connect to OMV via ssh. Navigate to that directory on OMV and review the permissions and ACLs of newly added files matches with what's expected.

• So what should I be expecting the files permissions to have as I have seen a difference

Also when trying to use qbittorrent to download files and place then in torrent folder on the OMV server I get errored and doesnt download - I have tried Transmission which download but not very well - cud this also be a permissions problem?

Im thinking a Fresh install might be a better way forward to sort out everything or will I still have to sort the permissions to the already saved files and folders?

• There's not a straightforward answer to that question. The fact you're seeing differences does not surprise me because of the ACLs that were used when the system was set up. The assumption that all data written to, or modified, on your OMV system would have consistent permissions and ACLs could only have been true if all programs creating/modifying your OMV data recognised and used those ACLs where required. That means data accessed through SMB shares, docker apps and any other internal program running on OMV such as backup programs (what was used to backup to your GDrive?), including rsync, or external programs like Torrent and FTP( Filezilla) used on any MAC or PC.

Obtaining access to your data was a first step.

P.S. I must emphasise that when reviewing perms & ACLs you must be doing so on OMV itself, not as seen from a PC or MAc.

• Obtaining access to your data was a first step.

What would be the next step? (With a look of dread in my face!!!!)

I used rclone to backup my data with a command line every night but that has also stopped working but will have to look into that once things on OMV are sorted. I should be able just to add the files to GDrive as I go at the moment so I have a full bkup.

What is the easiest and best/better way to move forward? Try to fix OMV the way I have or to bit the bullet & maybe after Christmas Wipe the drives and start over with help from the manual and the forum?

• RE: qbittorrent - are files being written directly to the torrent SMB share? If so, the perms on the path /srv/mergerfs/Media/Daniel/torrents/ should be Ok. But the write list on the share "write list = Biniaz biniazd @MediaReadWrite @biniazd @sftp-access" may be preventing access by the qbittorrent app.

Re: next step - Just how many drives do you have in use on OMV. I don't remember if snapriad is in use too. Just pondering if you could be a partial restore from your rclone into free space to see that state of files on your backup.

Wiping existing data is a last resort, unless it was known to be corrupt and a restore was required. It's quite possible a few commands could re-set permissions and clear unneeded ACLs on your data, followed by setting the appropriate perms on shared folders and dir/files used by any docker apps, etc.

Make a list, along these lines for each program/app accessing OMV data:

Program/App accessing - user/group used to access data - directories used by program.

• write list on the share "write list = Biniaz biniazd @MediaReadWrite @biniazd @sftp-access" may be preventing access by the qbittorrent app.

Cool - your probably right. Is the fix as you stated below that comment?

how many drives do you have in use on OMV. I don't remember if snapriad is in use too

I have 4 HHD of various sizes in the POOL (mergerFS) Also before moving over to OMV 6 I watched TDL video & he stated to download all Plugins - so I did - Dont know if its in use

Just pondering if you could be a partial restore from your rclone into free space to see that state of files on your backup.

Its a complete copy of what I had in the /srv/mergerfs/Media/Daniel but is basically everything in the Media folder on the server

Make a list, along these lines for each program/app accessing OMV data:

Program/App accessing - user/group used to access data - directories used by program.

Ill have a look and put a list together and get back to you on this one mate Thanks

• Ill have a look and put a list together and get back to you on this one mate Thanks

Krisbee

Below I have put together what I use but havent an idea what some use

Code
    MAC:                USER/GROUPS:        Media/Torrents Directories:
    Finder                 Biniaz                    Biniaz?
    QBittorrent            Biniaz?                   Biniaz?
    MKVToolnix             Biniaz?                   Biniaz?

DOCKER:
    Portainer              Biniaz?                   Biniaz?

LENOVO PC:
    Plex                   Biniaz?                   Biniaz?

I have noticed that there are 2 mounts in Network on my Mac as you can see in the Screenshot. They both go to the same folders Media & Torrents

• My time is short today. Re: that last screenshot. I've not used MAC OS, so I don't how these location entries were created. But the "om5-daniel- ..." location looks to be "avahi" related. Aavahi is a core feature of OMV broadcasting the available services on your Lan. The "10.229.1.180" may appear because OMV additionally is using WSDD.

Try to find what if anything is using biniazd.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!