Beiträge von DNUKaen

Thank you so much for doing the above - this is what I needed. Again thank you so much for this.

I have just a couple of questions:

1. I have a HP Proliant Gen 8 Microserver - it has USB on it - Will OMV pick this up?

2. "With a drive dock and the new 14TB (formatted and mounted) drive" - by this do you mean just a normal format of the drive or do I have to format it with OMV? If so, how would I do this with the 14Tb connected to the servers USB?

3. Use an rsync command line to copy the 4TB drive you're replacing, to the new 14TB drive. In the overview, the command line would be something like this. (This is an example only.)

Existing Source Drive Destination 14TB drive

rsync -av /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-3bdb3de5-218b-4930-bb61-05cda64f8c6b/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-dfa2df17-9764-4a47-8e9d-9a36ff74ca37/

Im happy to use command line - But to confirm - this would need me to ssh into the server (then not use a User but just into the server) and run the rsync command. Once completed follow steps 2-4

Have you thought about getting a drive dock? With a single drive dock, you could copy the entire contents of the drive to be replaced, to the new 14TB drive, with an rsync command line. (It would take awhile for the copy to complete.)

There is a USB on the Server Box but again what would be the process to do this to transfer the data?

I'm happy to use the MC way but its how to do it if the process is explained. I have the program and have used it before but just wondering where the data from the disk, which I have found, needs to be moved. I can then unmount and then workout how to add the new drive.

As Ive mentioned Im happy to follow a process if someone spells out that process for me

Can anyone inform me where I should aim the data to be transferred from the right disk? Do I need to put in a certain folder? When I have checked what is on that disk in MC there are 5 folders - would I transfer the data from those folders to the same corresponding folders on another disk?

Then remove that disk from the mergerfs pool and remove the disk from the server and replacing it with the new one and run through the SnapRAID process mentioned in comment No. 2

Install a copy of Midnight Commander and learn how to use it.

I have MC and have used it before when I setup my Plex, Radarr & Sonarr with TrashGuides.

1. How would I use it to move data from the 4Tb to the other disks on in the pool?

2. I think I understand your process - once thats done I sud be able to remove the 4Tb from the mergerfs pool and remove the drive from the server.

3. Then I can put in the 14tB new disk to the server - mount it to OMV and format it before adding it to the pool and then running the balance tool.

Please tell me if this is correct?

As far as I know, there's no video tutorial for doing a drive replacement, in a MergerFS pool. So...

(After moving all data from the disk to be removed, to other drives in the MergerFS pool.)

Thanks for the reply

Regarding the above what is the EXACT process to move that data from the 4Tb disk to the rest of the mergerfs pool?

I can take screenshots of my disks on the OMV GUI to get the right help? If you could inform me what part of the GUI I need to go to and the process that would help me a lot.

I know it may be a very easy process but I really dont wanna screw it up

I have looked into doing the above but this is the first time trying to do this. I'm not very good with words and a guide with pictures of each step or a video tutorial to follow would help me so much.

I have a 4 Bay server that is running OMV 6 and all bays are populated. I want to remove the smallest disk, a 4Tb Drive but first add the data on that drive onto the Mergerfs Pool. Then look to remove the Disk and replace that with a 14Tb drive. Also how would I add this new drive to the mergerfs pool correctly?

I looked at this site in the docs and wondered if theres a step by step guide of how to run this process. I'm not very good with the written word but with pictures and videos I can follow a tutorial. I found this below but not sure if this is correct way to do it

Many thanks in advance

omv6:omv6_plugins:snapraid [omv-extras.org]

Edit the old_data folder if you already have it created. In the relative path field, set the path to that disk. You can use the icon on the right to open the folder tree and select the disk.

I havent created or done any of the steps mentioned so far - I want to make sure I do this right 1st time as Ive never done this before.

So I need to edit the Storage - Mergerfs - 4Tb drive path? I need to remove this drive from this location first? If thats correct and I complete that task correctly - what do I need to do next?

Sorry for the delayed reply - Work and Family.

To copy the data from the 4TB disk to the existing pool, after removing the disk from the pool, do the following

So this is done in Storage - mergerfs

1. Create a shared folder with whatever name you want, for example old_data, pointing to the mount folder of that disk

This wud be in Shared Folders and point to /dev/sdc disk

2. Create an rsync task in the GUI to copy from the old_data folder to the mergerfs pool. This task must have the delete option disabled. Execute that task. If you want to make sure, select the test option and see what the job is going to be executed. If everything is correct, disable the test option and run the task again.

Regarding this - Ive never done it before but below is what I have wen I start to create one. If I have the above correct what wud I do for the stuff in here

- Remove the 4TB drive from the pool from the plugin GUI.

- Copy existing data on 4TB drive to existing pool, rsync is a suitable tool for this.

- Replace the 4TB disk with the 14TB disk.

- Add the 14TB disk to the pool.

So remove the 4Tb from the mergerfs pool using GUI - then using command line run rSync to copy the 7% on the 4Tb to the mergerfs pool. After this shut down the server and remove the 4Tb and replace with 14Tb drive. Do I format the 14Tb drive or just add it to the mergerfs pool?

Sry if I sound like a beginner but I had a lot of help to set this up when I first got it and started using OMV. Not really had to do something like this so dont want to lose my data or basically screw things up