DNS resolution issue

• Hi everyone,

hope you are all doing good ?

Recently, i noticed that i wasn't receiving anymore emails from my OMV installations with updates.

After connecting it through SSH, i noticed that i couldn't ping http://www.google.com. I started to check resolved service and avahi, both seems to be up and running :

I tried to reset my network configuration using omv-firstaid, using netplan, nothing is working. When i do "cat /etc/resolv.conf", all looks good as well :

I am not sure what am i missing here ?

last note, i noticed that SMB sharing through hostname doesn't work either.

I am using a bunch of docker, that seems to work without any issue, all docker running on that OMV instance can resolve domains.

Thanks for the help.

cheers

• Are you using a static IP or a dynamic IP on OMV.

Dynamic relies on your DHCP server to send all the configuration to the NIC. Static has to be entered manually.

If you are using static, you have to specify the IP, gateway and DNS servers yourself in the OMV interfaces section.

If you are on dynamic, reboot your router and then your server. I have seen them sometimes get a bit confused after months or sometimes years of being on, and a reboot fixed any errors after manifesting in the lease tables or routing tables.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von BernH () aus folgendem Grund: Typo

• Already tried both, doesn't change anything. Tried different DNS, like 1.1.1.1, doesn't change anything. My router is rebooted once a month, it is OPNSense, and i apply updates.

Tried it one more time today, and suddenly, all works, in DHCP or static. Don't know what happened, spend almost a day on this one.

Thanks for asking me this, so that i could try one more time and finally got the issue fixed.

Cheers.

• delpiero3

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • delpiero3

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • It sounds like you may have had some problems with opnsense to me. Since it is opnsense, it is running on some kind of computer.

Just a little tip from my 30 years as an electronics technician and a computer repair technician.

Sometimes a reboot isn’t enough.

Sometimes a full power cycle is required.

Sometime you even need to drain any residual voltages from capacitors on the motherboard for all the chips and Ram to do a full reset. You can try doing this forcefully by shutting down, removing power and pressing and holding the power button for 20 seconds or so, then reapply power and start up.

Sometimes even that isn’t enough if it doesn’t drain all the capacitors and you need to shut down, remove power and wait 20-30 minutes. If it comes to this I will still do the power button press and hold, but wait that 20-30 minutes before reapplying power.

Computers are great when they work, but when they get cranky they can stop making sense.

• BernH

I think the router had a problem

Server, Nas, printer should e.g. 192.168.200.80-120 Have.

And he maybe has ip6?

That is what I said, opnsense is his router/dhcp server/gateway.

Since there is no real need for ipv6 on a home LAN, unless you have more computers than there are on the internet, I don't use it, but it should still issue addresses and route.

Although both ipv4 and ipv6 can be used simutaneously, I'm sure it gives more chance for a router to get its routing tables messed up.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!