How to bind WEBUI to specific network interface

• Offizieller Beitrag

ok but will kvm plugin then see the interfaces I create outside?

"See" where? If you need to create a network that points to one of these interfaces, just create it in virt-manager or use virsh. The only other place you select a network interface is if you choose a bridge type for a VM. That dropdown is literally looking for any network interface starting with br.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

In the Services -> KVM -> Networks

when you click on Plus icon, then you pickup Add macvtap network. In the Add macvtap network dialog you have a combobox that lists all the network interfaces that I can see in the Network -> Interfaces.

This is populated by OMV configured network interfaces. If you create the network with virt-manager or virsh with your non-OMV configured network interface, you will see the network in the Networks tab and be able to use it for VMs.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Offizieller Beitrag

ok so that means the kvm-plugin Network tab doesn't use the interfaces defined by OMV and instead get's what's actually in the system, do I get this correctly?

No, I think I said just the opposite. That is why I telling you to create a network in virsh or virt-manager if you want to create a network using a non-OMV setup network interface.

• Thank you for the information and clearing up my doubts!

It seems there's more and more reasons to move out from OMV. To bad cause it's just two extra edit fields in the Network > Interfaces which would help a lot many peoples as the route-metric should be there anyway as someone may want to shape the traffic different way. And having the ability to change mac address is also something needed.

Cause right now, the situation is that OMV is incapable of handling anything that's using more than one network card/one vlan. That's a real showstopper similarly big as the missing deep C-States support in TrueNas.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's a real showstopper similarly big as the missing deep C-States support in TrueNas.

Not really. There is almost no one asking for this and it is a huge change to almost everything in OMV. There just isn't enough help with OMV to support everything. The targeted OMV user base is not doing this level of network customization.

• Not really. There is almost no one asking for this and it is a huge change to almost everything in OMV.

and again, why this false claim? There's even a bug report for this, here:

Support optional macaddress poperty in vlan definition · Issue #1306 · openmediavault/openmediavault
    Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe. dhcp in vlans based on a bond do not work because OMV does not support to enter an (optional)…
    github.com

and Oh, metrics were also not needed, but somehow it was added, because in the ended there was requirement as result of the changes in netplan.

There just isn't enough help with OMV to support everything. The targeted OMV user base is not doing this level of network customization.

it's not everything, it's basic networking. And as I said somewhere else. Network is a base functionality for NAS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

and again, why this false claim? There's even a bug report for this, here:

How is it false? I said "almost" no one. When you have limited time to implement things and 2 or 3 people out of thousands of users want something, it has to be a low priority.

and Oh, metrics were also not needed, but somehow it was added, because in the ended there was requirement as result of the changes in netplan.

Requirements due to changes in netplan cannot be avoided. And if Volker chooses to implement something, then great. But when you are asking for something that affects every plugin, service, etc then that includes me and I don't have time to implement this. Sorry to disappoint you.

it's not everything, it's basic networking. And as I said somewhere else. Network is a base functionality for NAS.

We must be talking about different things. There is nothing basic about multiple VLANs and multiple network adapters with specific services only listening on specific networks. You are ignoring my comment about the targeted audience of OMV which does not setup their network this way. What you want complicates many plugins and adds to what needs to be maintained. There are two of us working on this project. We have to pick and choose features. If you want something that is not available now, you will have to implement it or wait until someone does. Am I really being that unrealistic?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• How is it false? I said "almost" no one. When you have limited time to implement things and 2 or 3 people out of thousands of users want something, it has to be a low priority.

man.. it's not asking a total new functionality. What else, it's about basic networking function.

I explained this already. Currently the UI may cause the user to end up with half broken network state. And the only solution to fix this is to get into more trouble. Other NAS software do support this despite the fact that someone again was trying to persuade me that it's different.

But when you are asking for something that affects every plugin, service, etc then that includes me and I don't have time to implement this. Sorry to disappoint you.

Why do you think it will affect every plugin?

There is nothing basic about multiple VLANs and multiple network adapters with specific services only listening on specific networks.

yes VLAN is one of the basic network functionalities specified as per IEEE 802.1Q. I never said I need something with multiple network adapters. This would probably solve the problem but there's no reason to have multiple network adapters since one network card can easily handle multiple VLAN configurations.

You are ignoring my comment about the targeted audience of OMV which does not setup their network this way.

I don't ignore it. I'm trying to understand why you are fixed on having broken product supporting this with such twisted logic.

What you want complicates many plugins and adds to what needs to be maintained.

Please explain how, cause it seems I fail to understand how this may complicate this. Because if so, then based from what I understand and how the metrics patch was created, there's no relation with this.

If you want something that is not available now, you will have to implement it or wait until someone does.

well, I tried long time ago, I gave up because of the attitude I meet.

Also, I'm not willing to publish any of the work I did in my spare time on GitHub. I could publish it here or elsewhere but I'm not going to do this because of this link I posted elsewhere:

Open source developers urged to move away from GitHub after Copilot launch
    The Software Freedom Conservancy, a non-profit organization that provides support and legal services for open source software projects, called on the open…
    en.deepweb.net

You can cry and insult me and openmediavault as much as you like.

Well no one is trying to insult you or anyone else here and if you still think it's like this, then I apologize if what I wrote touch you but I never meant to do this. I'm also not insulting OpenMediaVault per se. As I stated above, I'm trying to understand why and nothing else, cause answers like "nobody asked" etc are false as I pointed out. The same as when you tried to tell me that other NAS software doesn't have this functionality which wasn't true and I did shown that.

I'm really trying to use OMV which is decent product and imho under many circumstances much better for home use than TrueNAS, especially from the power consumption point of view, but being it network product it must support network functionality and I'm not asking for total system refactor, just a simple editable field in the network config. The fact is that there was option in OMV5 that allows to add extra parameters to the network config. it's gone now. And I could maybe use the salts thing but it seems there's no way to obtain some additional information. I asked about this in other place.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why do you think it will affect every plugin?

Because the general idea from the beginning of this thread was to bind every service to a specific adapter (your exact comment in post #3). This would affect every plugin that is a service.

man.. it's not asking a total new functionality. What else, it's about basic networking function.

If you are only referring to mac addresses for vlan that is one thing. But that isn't how the thread started.

I explained this already. Currently the UI may cause the user to end up with half broken network state. And the only solution to fix this is to get into more trouble. Other NAS software do support this despite the fact that someone again was trying to persuade me that it's different.

Then I am an idiot and don't understand "basic" networking. If you change networking items, you can break the web interface on every web interface appliance I have ever seen. If other NAS are doing this right (I have broken the web interface on a QNAP appliance), then maybe they fit your use better.

I'm trying to understand why you are fixed on having broken product supporting this with such twisted logic.

Do you see hundreds of posts complaining it is broken? It doesn't seem to be twisted for most users. I would love to see how you would fix it. I have a feeling it would complicate the networking even more and noobs would be totally lost.

well, I tried long time ago, I gave up because of the attitude I meet.

Also, I'm not willing to publish any of the work I did in my spare time on GitHub. I could publish it here or elsewhere but I'm not going to do this because of this link I posted elsewhere:

Is an author of a product allowed to say no to a change if it pushes the product outside the intended use case?

The fact is that there was option in OMV5 that allows to add extra parameters to the network config.

Where? https://github.com/openmediava…tem/network/Interfaces.js

openmediavault/ethernet.j2 at 5.x · openmediavault/openmediavault
    openmediavault is the next generation network attached storage (NAS) solution based on Debian Linux. It contains services like SSH, (S)FTP, SMB/CIFS, DAAP…
    github.com

just a simple editable field in the network config.

This isn't what you started the thread asking for.

• well, I tried long time ago, I gave up because of the attitude I meet.

Also, I'm not willing to publish any of the work I did in my spare time on GitHub.

You want free software and you don't want to share your knowledge!? I don't think you have anything to upload it to Github.

For me, OMV is the best solution there is.

https://github.com/Wolf2000Pi

OMV6 Hewlett-Packard HPE-411at - Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz - 16GB Ram

Proxmox omv 7 sandworm Dell OptiPlex 7050 i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz - 32GB Ram (Test!!!!)

• Because the general idea from the beginning of this thread was to bind every service to a specific adapter (your exact comment in post #3). This would affect every plugin that is a service.

oh, you had in mind this topic - then ok, forget, this is easy to solve with simple firewall rule. I was fixed on that VLAN problem which is not something as trivially fixable.

If you are only referring to mac addresses for vlan that is one thing. But that isn't how the thread started.

yes, so maybe this conv should/could be extracted to a separate topic so it's not polluting this one? And just a workaround as - simple firewall rule to fix this?

If other NAS are doing this right (I have broken the web interface on a QNAP appliance), then maybe they fit your use better.

Well I already said:

TrueNAS - no go, the *BSD version is energy inefficient in EU using it is a disaster. The one based on Debian is better but from what I see it require ZFS usage. Again for home use overkill.

QNAP, Synology require their HW, I have my own which works for me. For your information I'm already considering using cockpit project but I'm worried only about easy of ACL setting as this is something which was quite nice done in OMV5, didn't try yet with OMV6 and I'm a bit lazy to do all this manually.

Do you see hundreds of posts complaining it is broken? It doesn't seem to be twisted for most users. I would love to see how you would fix it. I have a feeling it would complicate the networking even more and noobs would be totally lost.

Hold on, because right now it seems we are talking about two different things. I moved already onto that macaddress issue. But you're probably talking about the topic based on the first paragraph from your post. If that's the case then we're talking about different things and yeah, the webui bind is something I didn't think of yet but if I'd have to do a quick guess then, in general omv settings you pick up which network interface WebUI should listen on, and there should be api exposed to plugins which would provide info regards which interface the WebUI has been fixed on.

But as I said, it's just quick guess without deep checking of the functionality and potential problems.

For checking of errors - there something nice done by OpenWRT in Luci. Every time you do a change and apply, the system "waits" 90 seconds for connection to be established. In case it's not, it is reverting the changes. A life saver! Tbh if we're here, the first time I saw that apply/save functionality in OMV I thought it's working the same, to bad it's not but it would be probably much more complicated to implement than on OpenWrt.

Is an author of a product allowed to say no to a change if it pushes the product outside the intended use case?

Hold on, this is related to you asking me to implement this. I stated how it is/was in the past. And if it's outside of the intended use case, ten it should be mentioned that: The product doesn't support the functionality ...

Where?

Look in the attachment.

This isn't what you started the thread asking for.

Explanation is in the beginning of this post. It seems there has been some misunderstanding because two topics were mixed here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For your information I'm already considering using cockpit project but I'm worried only about easy of ACL setting as this is something which was quite nice done in OMV5, didn't try yet with OMV6 and I'm a bit lazy to do all this manually.

So, instead of just maintaining your own netplan files to fix the mac address/vlan issue and not using the omv web interface for network interface/bond/etc setup, you would switch to cockpit? As you and I have said, the firewall would solve the service on network interface issue.

For checking of errors - there something nice done by OpenWRT in Luci. Every time you do a change and apply, the system "waits" 90 seconds for connection to be established. In case it's not, it is reverting the changes. A life saver! Tbh if we're here, the first time I saw that apply/save functionality in OMV I thought it's working the same, to bad it's not but it would be probably much more complicated to implement than on OpenWrt.

Since OMV is using saltstack/config management, it basically assumes you are entering correct info and the database is the source of truth. I don't know of any config management that rolls back automatically when a change breaks things. I guess that is a nice feature of OpenWRT but not sure how it would be implemented for networking on OMV.

• So, instead of just maintaining your own netplan files to fix the mac address/vlan issue and not using the omv web interface for network interface/bond/etc setup, you would switch to cockpit?

Kind of yeah, since the slatsack cause me some problems which I asked in other post and I'm kind of stuck. And manually playing with netplan means that I would need again to manual play with the virsh which is something I don't want to do. Here is the relevant info:

I guess that is a nice feature of OpenWR

I'd say it's a lifesaver.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Kind of yeah, since the slatsack cause me some problems which I asked in other post and I'm kind of stuck. And manually playing with netplan means that I would need again to manual play with the virsh which is something I don't want to do. Here is the relevant info:

I'm not against changing the kvm plugin to allow creating networks from any network interface on the system. Should be a relatively easy change.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!