Poratiner cannot be installed

• Everything is now on "/srv/mergerfs/Pool2/Docker..."

Are you telling that you have Docker on a Merged Pool???

This can not be.

Docker root and/or containers configs need to live in a single drive and NOT on merged FS.

What is:

ls -al /srv/mergerfs/Pool2/Docker

• OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Docker lives on an SSD which is part of a merged pool, BUT the path I use for Docker in OMV-GUI is the path directly to that SSD (no via the mergerfs Pool)

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Docker lives on an SSD which is part of a merged pool, BUT the path I use for Docker in OMV-GUI is the path directly to that SSD (no via the mergerfs Pool)

Not what is shown on your previous post.

Your last ls command shows your docker Root inside the merged pool.

You can see it with this to try to confirm it

ls -al /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-*/Docker/

• Not what is shown on your previous post.

Your last ls command shows your docker Root inside the merged pool.

You can see it with this to try to confirm it

ls -al /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-*/Docker/

As I said the Docker sits on an SSD which is part of a merged pool. The Docker path in OMV points directly to the SSD but since that SSD is part of the merged pool, the Docker folder will also show up inside the merged pool.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• As I said the Docker sits on an SSD which is part of a merged pool. The Docker path in OMV points directly to the SSD but since that SSD is part of the merged pool, the Docker folder will also show up inside the merged pool.

And you're sure that you don't have other Docker folder on other disk that is beeing merged with that one?

This is out of my league so I'll take my leave from this.

If you want to try something simple, install portainer the "old fashion way":

docker volume create portainer_data

[EDIT]

This is a single line so I put it on a codebox:

Code
    docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9443:9443 --name portainer --restart=unless-stopped -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce:latest

See if it works.

Other than this, I can't help any more

Good Luck

• yes I am sure this is the only Docker folder and Docker works fine. I have other containers up and running.

Its just Portainer that des not install

thanks for all your help!

Your second command throws an error:

Code
    root@rpi42:/# docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9443:9443 --name portainer --restart=unless-stopped -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce:latest
    docker: Error response from daemon: layer does not exist.
    See 'docker run --help'.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Your second command throws an error:

And I would be surprised if it worked: it's the exact same command as the GUI.

And it spitted an error about layer does not exist

This is a hint to go on google, ;)

If you want to do a last test:

docker volume rm portainer_data

And this will force Portainer to create the folder on the single path /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-14a35ebc-6358-492c-af84-4e920f0c55bc/myPORTAINER/ instead of inside the Docker Root Dir.

If it spits error about layer it's because it only detects the layer for mergerFS and not the underlying FS.

Code
    docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9443:9443 --name portainer --restart=unless-stopped -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run docker.sock -v /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-14a35ebc-6358-492c-af84-4e920f0c55bc/myPORTAINER/portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce:latest
  • I checked all Google references to "layer doesnt exist" but they all talk about Docker problems really deep inside Docker. I do not believe that I have such a big issue as I run the same configuration on another RPI with Portainer. And also Docker works well, just the installation of Porainer fails. I do think this might have something to do with the OMV scripts.

New errors when I run this

Code
      root@rpi42:/usr/share/openmediavault# docker run -d -p 8000:8000 -p 9443:9443 --name portainer --restart=unless-stopped -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run docker.sock -v /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-14a35ebc-6358-492c-af84-4e920f0c55bc/myPORTAINER/portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer-ce:latest
    Unable to find image 'docker.sock:latest' locally
    docker: Error response from daemon: pull access denied for docker.sock, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login': denied: requested access to the resource is denied.
    See 'docker run --help'.
    root@rpi42:/usr/share/openmediavault#

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• yes many times. also rebooted etc.

Docker works fine and I have 3 other containers all working well.

A strange thing happens everytime after rebooting. Docker shows in OMV GUI as up and "running", but the containers are not working until I do a docker restart once. Then magically, all existing containers work well.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Docker shows in OMV GUI as up and "running", but the containers are not working until I do a docker restart once.

:/ If I reboot which is very rarely in the dashboard docker takes to few seconds to display green, but it does show as running in omv-extras -> docker, once the dashboard shows it as running then the containers work OK

Hm, I wonder if docker is the issue, check the output of cat /etc/docker/daemon.json

• Code
     cat /etc/docker/daemon.json
    {
      "data-root": "/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-14a35ebc-6358-492c-af84-4e920f0c55bc/Docker"
    }

This is the path to the SSD where docker is residing. All other containers work fine with this configuration.

Does portainer expect any config files in a different location?

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is the path to the SSD where docker is residing. All other containers work fine with this configuration

That looks OK

Does portainer expect any config files in a different location

:?: Yes, OK, the thing to remember is that container configs have to be on a single drive even if that drive is part of a mergerfs pool

• I am thinking to de-install and re-install Docker.

But I want to preserve my running containers exactly as they are.

Do you know what the best way for a backup would be? BTRFS Snapshot maybe?

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I want to preserve my running containers exactly as they are

These could be causing the problem with Portainer, or at least where the container configs are located

AFAIK you can uninstall and reinstall docker and the containers should be intact but that might not resolve the Portainer problem

The thing is the simplest way to deploy a container is using Portainer stacks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!