Emby Docker/Portainer problem - Deployment error failed to deploy a stack: services.emby.volumes must be a list

• TL;DR - Eemby in a docker won't deploy because I don't have hard drives or paths defined. I still need to save up and buy the drives. Is there a work around?

Greetings all,

Obviously a new user here, but familiar with Linux and forums. I recently discovered Serverbuilds.net and naturally thought I would try my hand at making my own dedicated media server. I don't know if it is relevant but here is the build spec:

Mobo - ASUS Prime H310I-Plus CSM LGA1151

CPU - Intel i5-8400

RAM - 16 GB DDR

Storage - 250GB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3

PSU - Cooler Master V850 Gold

Case - Fractal Design Node 304

I bought almost all of this used with a total investment $350. of The sole function of this server will be to serve video to 10 users with frequent transcoding. All I want is an OS and Emby Server. Since I am on a budget, I have to wait for a few more paycheck before I get the SATA drives for my library. I figure while I wait, I would go ahead and configure Emby. Then I found that Docker is the preferred method. I don't personally like the idea of a container, but I see no easy way maintain/update emby otherwise since it is not in the plugin repository.

So I read how to install Docker and Portainer, then install emby using the docker-compose here: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/emby . Since I do not have any drives other than my OS SSD, I comment out the volume paths. When I attempt to deploy the stack, I get the error message Deployment error failed to deploy a stack: services.emby.volumes must be a list

Now if this was a native installation, I could just install emby and leave the library section blank while configuring everything else. Is there a way to do this with the Docker installation?

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Well, considering you didn't provide us anything useful regarding your volumes, that's going to be impossible to give you any assistance.

Did you install with a stack/docker-compose?

If so, why don't you post that. There shouldn't be any personal info in it.

Nevermind, I see now.

Emby needs at least 1 volume (the :/config).. otherwise it's not going to start.

• I apologize KM0201, I actually thought I had given all pertinent information. I am only going on about 2 hours experience with OMV and Docker.

I started out installing omv-extras. Then going into the OMV webpage navigation System/omv-extras/Docker and install. Then the same for Portainer. After installing Portainer, I clicked Open Web. On the Portainer page, I went to Stacks and clicked New Stack. I then pasted in:

There are no paths to put into the volumes section because I do not have drives yet. While typing this and looking at the Portainer page, I did see the Volumes section. There is one entry:

/var/lib/docker/volumes/portainer_data/_data

Is that what I should put in that section? Hopefully I got all of the information necessary this time!

• I am truly not trying to be difficult here, but where should I point the /config to exactly? I can't start emby so it can't create any config files. The only storage I have is the OS NVMe drive. I don't want any part of Emby on the hard drives I will be getting. Those will be for media only.

This is making me like the idea of using the .deb file and installing it like normal. I just don't understand the allure of Docker.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!