OMV without nfs v4 server

• Why does OMV only support NFS v3 on server side?

As a client i can connect to other nfs shares as v4 and OMV client side has that option in the settings but despite client asking for v4, the OMV server only connects as v3.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• On the server and client side I can see that nfs v4 it is available

Code
    root@rpi42:~#  cat /proc/fs/nfsd/versions
    -2 +3 +4 +4.1 +4.2
    root@raspberrypi:~# cat /proc/fs/nfsd/versions
    -2 +3 +4 +4.1 +4.2

The server also generated this OMV file in /etc/exports which defines nfs v4 features

mounting nfs either in OMV Gui or manually show only v3

Code
    sudo mount -t nfs4 x.x.x.x:/export/NFS_test /srv/_testdir
    Code
    after the client side "nfsstat -m" shows version 3: 

/srv/_testdir from x.x.x.x:/export/NFS_test
     Flags: rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=524288,wsize=524288,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=x.x.x.x,mountvers=3,mountport=34991,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=x.x.x.x

>> So I followed the Debian Setup Wiki nfs setup for NFS4 only server and added the missing entries to the following files

Code
    /etc/default/nfs-common
    /etc/default/nfs-kernel-server

This results in an error on client side

Code
    root@rpi42:/# mount -t nfs4 x.x.x.x:/export/NFS_test /srv/_testdir
    mount.nfs4: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported

root@rpi42:/# mount -t nfs x.x.x.x:/export/NFS_test /srv/_testdir
    mount.nfs4: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported

Unfortunately, I have no other ideas how to find solutions . And the issue is definitely on OMV/Debian side, as I have tried with non-OMV servers as nfs server, which can be connected to with v4.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MarcS ()

• If I'm not mistaken, since the pseudo root directory of nfsv4 share is already /export then you wouldn't mount /export/xyz/, just connect to the ip and port of your server then the shared directory.

The way you're trying to mount is basically server/export/export/NFS_TEST which would be interpreted as an NFS v3 path by the client/server... I think

So you should connect like server/NFS_TEST

• Incredible. thanks Jeff001. That fixed it! Thank you very much!

The reason why I used the old convention is that OMV GUI is asking to do so (including export). I did not know that v4 required a different mount path and it seems strange that the server changes protocol version just because of a way to describe the access path, even though I explicitly ask vor v4 in the command. Anyway thanks for pointing this out.

Probably worth changing the wording in the OMV Plugin to correct that. Otherwise people will always connect as v3.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• At votdev: This text in GUI should probably be changed to reflect the fact that for v4 to work, the share definition MUST NOT have a path (like ..export) included, otherwise the server will automoatically default to v3, and not even tell anybody about it :)

As jeff0001 kindly pointed out above, the def for v4 must only be server IP.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

At votdev: This text in GUI should probably be changed to reflect the fact that for v4 to work, the share definition MUST NOT have a path (like ..export) included, otherwise the server will automoatically default to v3, and not even tell anybody about it :)

As jeff0001 kindly pointed out above, the def for v4 must only be server IP.

Don’t know which plugin this is; but it is definitely not part of the core UI nor an official plugin.

• Hi Guys,

I didn't check yet if NFSv4 is working fine with my Kodi client but something catch my attention through etc/exports file.

Why through NFSv4 section into etc/exports, my shares are not listed ?

etc/exports:

Apparently, NFSv4 is activated:

Code
    kriss@OMVPi:~ $ sudo cat /proc/fs/nfsd/versions
    -2 +3 +4 +4.1 +4.2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!