ZFS on RPI 4 system - module is not loaded.

• Hi All,

I was trying to test ZFS on my system, but ran into an issue with that.

When going to 'Storage' -> 'zfs' -> 'Pools', I'm getting the following error message:

A similar error message appears when trying to run zpool list:

Zitat

$ zpool list

The ZFS modules are not loaded.

Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.

When I try to do the suggested action, I'm getting the following error:

Zitat

$ sudo modprobe zfs

modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/6.1.19-v8+

System:

RPI 4.

Variant:

4GB RAM

uname -m output:

aarch64

OMV version:

6.3.7-5 (but it happened to me on earlier versions too).

Kernel:

Linux 6.1.19-v8+

ZFS plugin version:

openmediavault-zfs 6.0.12

(not sure if required) - main drive:
    SSD through USB-3.

Hopefully, I haven't missed any important details. Let me know if there's an additional input needed for this issue.

Also, since I'm using RPI, then all storage is external drives. The ZFS is meant to be used for RAID-Z. I'm aware to the fact that this is not recommended. For my setup and usage - it's ok (this is a test environment. not a "production" one. I'm using it mainly to learn OMV and docker).

Anyone knows how to solve this case?

Thanks,

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was trying to test ZFS on my system, but ran into an issue with that.

Just don't. It is not worth it.

(this is a test environment. not a "production" one. I'm using it mainly to learn OMV and docker).

btrfs will have a much better experience and is supported better by linux and OMV.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for replying.

Just don't. It is not worth it.

Can you elaborate a bit more on that? why is it not recommended?
    I was under the impression that since this has an official plugin, then this should be ok to use.

btrfs will have a much better experience and is supported better by linux and OMV.

I was hoping to use raid5 with it. My understanding is that raid5/6 are not fully supported by BTRFS at the moment. Am I wrong?
    Any other suggestions on how it is best to use 3 drives with BTRFS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you elaborate a bit more on that? why is it not recommended?

Because I already tried this experimentation on an RPi4 and did not have good results. So, I am personally recommending that you not use it as the maintainer of the zfs plugin.

I was hoping to use raid5 with it. My understanding is that raid5/6 are not fully supported by BTRFS at the moment. Am I wrong?
    Any other suggestions on how it is best to use 3 drives with BTRFS?

OMV supports raid5 if you create the array from the command line. You just can't create it from the web interface. Better question is why do you want/need raid? It isn't backup and not supported at all on usb drives. I would recommend ext4 on each drive, pool with mergerfs, and add redundancy/bitrot detection with snapraid.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Because I already tried this experimentation on an RPi4 and did not have good results. So, I am personally recommending that you not use it as the maintainer of the zfs plugin.

ok. that sums it up (sorry. I wasn't aware to the fact that you are the maintainer of it). thanks for explaining :)

It isn't backup and not supported at all on usb drives

as mentioned - the RPI is a "test" environment where I do most of my learning part about OMV and dockers.

OMV supports raid5 if you create the array from the command line

not that it matter, and just to clarify - I was using "raid5" term wrongly in my previous answer. I meant for raidz1 (which, to my knowledge, is the equivalent to "regular" raid5).

I would recommend ext4 on each drive, pool with mergerfs, and add redundancy/bitrot detection with snapraid.

probably you already noticed it, but I have relatively little knowledge and I'm new to this world. you gave me some new stuff to learn about (first time I here about mergerfs and snapraid. from very quick search about it, sounds like something I need to further learn and investigate. might be relevant to some other systems/scenarios I have). many thanks for the input.

one question though: in your last comment, you have suggested ext4 with mergerfs + snapraid. from what I currently understand, the mergerfs + snapraid works on top of whatever filesystem I choose. if so - why not using btrfs with mergerfs + snapraid? btrfs have more features it can provide which do not exist on ext4 (like snapshots).

again, thanks for the help. really do appreciate it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the RPI is a "test" environment where I do most of my learning part about OMV and dockers.

Right but you don't want to even test raid on an RPi. It will not teach you anything other than how bad raid is on an RPi/USB.

why not using btrfs with mergerfs + snapraid? btrfs have more features it can provide which do not exist on ext4 (like snapshots).

that should work fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the RPI is a "test" environment where I do most of my learning part about OMV and dockers.

I would use a virtual machine for this. It is more practical and useful, you can recreate the scenario you need without the need for real hardware.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!