Issues with Server-Side Copy using Manjaro Client and Dolphin File Explorer

• Hey everyone,

I'm currently facing some difficulties with performing server-side copies on my OMV server using a Manjaro client and Dolphin file explorer. I'm hoping to get some guidance on resolving this issue. Here are the relevant software versions:

• OpenMediaVault (OMV): 6.4.0-3
    • Coreutils: 8.32-4+b1

Firstly, I attempted to use both Fish and NFSv4.2 in Dolphin and the /etc/fstab file. With NFS, I managed to achieve a serverside copy speed of only 8MB/s, which is quite slow. On the other hand, Fish provided gigabit speeds, but this was limited to the local network.

I also tried using rsync via SSH, and it gave me the expected speeds for my HDD, so that seems to be working fine. However, I haven't had the chance to explore Samba yet.

In Ye-olden days before dockers, I used to RDP into the server and use the internal file explorer to deal with this.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to address this issue and improve the server-side copy performance. Are there any specific configurations or alternatives I should consider? Your insights and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• but this was limited to the local network.

Isn't that what you want? Fish should work even on WAN as it uses ssh.

Anyhow, it looks like you're hitting the WAN or maybe both HDD's are NTFS. FWIW, a couple of times I've accidentally done something like fish://user@...duckdns.org when I meant to do fish://user@omv. If you're copying from a remote HDD to your NAS's HDD similar to FXP, press F3 for split view and confirm your addresses.

• Good luck and report back if you find a fix.

I switched to thunar about 6 months ago because the KDE developers rebut every reported bug/problem with "You're holding it wrong." I currently get drop dead slow transfers with NFS + kio, even with things like rsync. If I copy and paste in Dolphin to NFS, Dolphin straight up hard locks for minutes on end. However, I still use Dolphin for fish://, so I guess it's not all bad. Should I cross my fingers when I try KDE on QT6? ... I don't think so.

• @MohammadAlHajj See a brief discussion about "server-side copy" on this thread starting at #129 RE: What Features to come with OMV 7 (What do people hope for/expect)?

I was probably guilty of conflating two ideas - so called "copy clone" with for example "cp --reflink=auto --sparse=never" and server side copy as a feature of NFSv4.2 - but the message is still the same that you should focus on the client side version of coreutils ( ? >= 9.1.) and what dolphin may or may not support o your client.

You did not mention what filesystem is used for your storage on OMV.

P.S. A link worth reading: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux…copying_and_how_i_got_it/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!